Successful Social Media for Photographers

February 16, 2010 | Mark Goldstein | Photography Techniques | 19 Comments |
Successful Social Media for Photographers Image

I could be considered a shining example of an artist who has used the internet to make a start in photography and to get my work out there. Indeed, people do ask me for my tips on how to best use the internet to get noticed.

I started using Flickr in 2006 to showcase my self-portraits and then began to acquire physical exhibitions and print sales thereon. However, this was largely inadvertent, or subconscious, for me at first.

It continues to be a journey of discovery for me, of how to use social media to increase and maintain my profile as an artist.

I've been uploading my work to Flickr for four years and I still generally use my photostream (www.flickr.com/photos/ndybisz) to display my new images.

Social Media for PhotographersFlickr

At the beginning, when I was an English student with lots of spare time, I simply created images because I enjoyed it. People's comments and responses encouraged me to keep creating. People became interested in interviewing me and recommending my work, and in the usual wildfire manner of the internet, my name became more familiar and my images appeared in countless blogs and articles, whether I liked it or not! The publicity online, along with interest from the media, led to a local exhibition a year later, then an exhibition in Madrid, and then opportunities from companies, and so on, to where I am today. I still create self-portraits, but I also dabble in commercial projects and my aim is to continue to pursue artistically-engaging photography projects, to write books and present workshops.

Social Media for PhotographersliveBooks

It became clear quite early on, within a few months of my Flickr-sharing experience, that I needed my own website. I decided to carry on my nickname, "Miss Aniela," as an artist name, so I grabbed "missaniela.com." It seemed the right step to have my own personal space where I could show a gallery of my photos and have a place to write information about myself, to which I could refer people who had questions about my photos. I also created a blog that I could update with news and thoughts.

I transitioned my website to liveBooks this year. I was considering alternatives to refresh the look of missaniela.com and I liked the look of their sleek, fast Flash sites.

Social Media for PhotographersFacebook

They appeared to be ideal for displaying my photography, so I shared my ideas with a designer, and saw it all come to fruition via a custom-built site. I also like being able to edit my site whenever I want, to edit text, and to add or remove pictures, which is easy enough in the editSuite that comes with every liveBooks site.

I also refreshed the look of my blog, (www.missanielablog.com) on a separate URL, keeping the graphic identity consistent with my liveBooks site, and decided to update the blog more frequently to keep it appealing to viewers.

Social Media for PhotographersBlog

portrait, portraits, portraiture, self-portrait, Natalie Dybisz, self, Twitter, Facebook, liveBooks, Flickr, social media

#1 Andrew Areoff

Great article. It highlights the importance of using a wide variety of social media including your own website to publicise your message to the most people possible.

These days people are ‘hanging-out’ in difference communities online, be it facebook, twitter, flickr… and often a combination so to get your name and portfolio in front of these people you need to be everywhere.

Good luck and wish you further success.

3:13 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#2 Ian Rudgewick-Brown

Really interesting article and shows how much FREE marketing you can get if you do it right.
Love the self portraits.
Ian

7:19 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#3 Ian Butterworth

Yes she’s talented and an attractive woman. Her looks certainly helped her rocket to stardom.

8:03 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#4 Louis DeBarraicua

Truly inspirational!  I took one of your water bottle images, and tried to use its motion as inspiration.  It was fun, and your work definitely pushes me to challenge myself more as an artist.

8:41 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#5 Mike Tinholt

Its going to be harder and harder to ‘make it’ without having an understanding of social media, even if we started by stumbling into it like Miss Aniela. And having creative and exceptional images sure helps.

10:46 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#6 Daniel Ray

Great article for those like me who are just starting to use social media to promote their photography.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

2:59 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#7 Beth

I think Facebook is a great platform to promote yourself.

I recently bought a Nikon D3S and love it!Here’s a stunning new vid from Nikon http://vimeo.com/9337388

5:40 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#8 acecard

This is a great ‘encyclopedia in small’ about social media & use in photography purposes. Even though i use all of the mentioned social media and i’m quite technology savy in that area, it is of a great value to have all the tools & techniques in one document. As there is always space for improvement and do more things, or do things better.
thank you!

7:17 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#9 Thomas

Photoshelter has a small ebook about sharing on Social Media.

7:22 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#10 Franziska

Ian Butterworth wrote “Her looks certainly helped her rocket to stardom.” ... what a shallow comment to make.

2:14 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#11 Bernie

May your rocket ride long continue Natalie.

4:57 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#12 Konrad

As someone told, “if you are unvisible in internet you are unvisible at all”- now we can add, that the same mean Facebook, MySpace etc….

5:35 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#13 silicon beach training

We had the pleasure of Miss Aniela speaking at our local Camera Club. Being an avid blogger and socail Media Advocate i wrote up the talk and my take on Photography and Socila Media here: why women rule social media http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/why-women-rule-social-media/

5:17 pm - Saturday, February 20, 2010

#14 steve

Social media is a great way to get people to look at your work, inevitably more and more people with excellent and innovative work like yours can really benefit. The SEO potential of social media can also be extremely beneficial to your web presence.

8:31 am - Wednesday, March 17, 2010

#15 SEO Training

I agree with Steve. We have just written a post that outlines the differences and how they can be sucessfully used together. See http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/using-social-media-for-seo/

3:36 pm - Thursday, July 1, 2010

#16 Collage Frame

She’s definitely talented and very good looking, drop dead gorgeous.

1:03 pm - Wednesday, March 9, 2011

#17 Vikki

I came across your site by doing an assignment for an online course in college. Great photos! Wishing you continued success.

7:51 pm - Saturday, March 12, 2011

#18 james B Bharathi

wonderful

6:32 pm - Monday, April 4, 2011

#19 Social Media Services

There is a little known trick to get connected with those sites that Google ‘prefers’. To find this, start looking in your Google Profile :)

Andy