Successful Social Media for Photographers

February 16, 2010 | Mark Goldstein | Photography Techniques | 19 Comments |
Successful Social Media for Photographers Image

My liveBooks website (http://www.missaniela.com) plays the role of the portfolio or gallery, the place where I show what I like to think is a refined collection of my best work. Viewers can navigate easily to the different areas to find out about prints, books, and my contact information. The website is a showcase, a place that is generally consistent. My blog, however, is a place where I constantly update information, share essays or thoughts, and promote events. The way I choose to use Flickr is rather like a studio, where I share lots of images and use it as a gauge for reactions and comments. I also use Flickr as a place to display my images while I determine which ones appeal to me most, and which ones I want to add to the galleries on my main website.

Believe it or not, the idea of using social networks to engage with a new audience or to point them to my website, blog or Flickr stream, is still new to me. The interaction itself was natural, but the idea of "marketing" myself is still fresh, and I am embracing email marketing and am using my new site to invite people to join my mailing list, with the incentive of winning a prize each month.

I have also learnt about the importance of using Facebook and Twitter, as these sites are so popular, and there may be one audience on one site that isn't on the other. By having both a Facebook page (www.facebook.com/missanielaphotography) and a Twitter page (www.twitter.com/missaniela) I can release updates, for example when I have a new blog post, to let the followers or "fans" on those networks know about my latest stuff, e.g. a new picture, an upcoming event or book.

Social Media for PhotographersTwitter

With the advent of the iPhone and Blackberry, and new devices like the iPad, people are sharing and accessing information on the move more than ever, and connecting through social networking sites as a regular part of their everyday routine. For businesses in general, it's a self-promoting opportunity not to be missed. For self-employed artists, it's almost a necessity.

All that said, it's important to use these tools strategically and in moderation. I know it well myself - not everyone enjoys having artists' constant self-promoting updates shoved in their face, even if they are signed up to your Twitter feed, Facebook page or mailing list. My work is very personal, so sometimes the ‘real me' and the ‘artist me' get confused and merged, so to avoid feeling like I am sharing my whole self and life on the internet, I try to keep my posts informative. I know I always appreciate other people's occasional jest or anecdote, however, so I reciprocate with my own, particularly on Twitter. And, just as importantly, if you're like me and trying to get the most out of social networking sites as promoting tools, make sure you also have a life outside of the internet and have a time in the day when you can keep them turned off!

Check out my new liveBooks website at www.missaniela.com and my blog at www.missanielablog.com.

Lastly, if you are a photographer (or indeed, anyone who works with images or art of any kind) and you want a website like mine, or to transform your existing one, check out liveBooks' pre-designed sites. You can use the promo code MISSANIELA to get 10 percent off the $39/month price (forever) and you get a 14-day free trial, too.

portrait, portraits, portraiture, self-portrait, Natalie Dybisz, self, Twitter, Facebook, liveBooks, Flickr, social media

#1 Andrew Areoff

Great article. It highlights the importance of using a wide variety of social media including your own website to publicise your message to the most people possible.

These days people are ‘hanging-out’ in difference communities online, be it facebook, twitter, flickr… and often a combination so to get your name and portfolio in front of these people you need to be everywhere.

Good luck and wish you further success.

3:13 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#2 Ian Rudgewick-Brown

Really interesting article and shows how much FREE marketing you can get if you do it right.
Love the self portraits.
Ian

7:19 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#3 Ian Butterworth

Yes she’s talented and an attractive woman. Her looks certainly helped her rocket to stardom.

8:03 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#4 Louis DeBarraicua

Truly inspirational!  I took one of your water bottle images, and tried to use its motion as inspiration.  It was fun, and your work definitely pushes me to challenge myself more as an artist.

8:41 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#5 Mike Tinholt

Its going to be harder and harder to ‘make it’ without having an understanding of social media, even if we started by stumbling into it like Miss Aniela. And having creative and exceptional images sure helps.

10:46 pm - Tuesday, February 16, 2010

#6 Daniel Ray

Great article for those like me who are just starting to use social media to promote their photography.  Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

2:59 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#7 Beth

I think Facebook is a great platform to promote yourself.

I recently bought a Nikon D3S and love it!Here’s a stunning new vid from Nikon http://vimeo.com/9337388

5:40 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#8 acecard

This is a great ‘encyclopedia in small’ about social media & use in photography purposes. Even though i use all of the mentioned social media and i’m quite technology savy in that area, it is of a great value to have all the tools & techniques in one document. As there is always space for improvement and do more things, or do things better.
thank you!

7:17 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#9 Thomas

Photoshelter has a small ebook about sharing on Social Media.

7:22 am - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#10 Franziska

Ian Butterworth wrote “Her looks certainly helped her rocket to stardom.” ... what a shallow comment to make.

2:14 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#11 Bernie

May your rocket ride long continue Natalie.

4:57 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#12 Konrad

As someone told, “if you are unvisible in internet you are unvisible at all”- now we can add, that the same mean Facebook, MySpace etc….

5:35 pm - Wednesday, February 17, 2010

#13 silicon beach training

We had the pleasure of Miss Aniela speaking at our local Camera Club. Being an avid blogger and socail Media Advocate i wrote up the talk and my take on Photography and Socila Media here: why women rule social media http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/why-women-rule-social-media/

5:17 pm - Saturday, February 20, 2010

#14 steve

Social media is a great way to get people to look at your work, inevitably more and more people with excellent and innovative work like yours can really benefit. The SEO potential of social media can also be extremely beneficial to your web presence.

8:31 am - Wednesday, March 17, 2010

#15 SEO Training

I agree with Steve. We have just written a post that outlines the differences and how they can be sucessfully used together. See http://www.siliconbeachtraining.co.uk/blog/using-social-media-for-seo/

3:36 pm - Thursday, July 1, 2010

#16 Collage Frame

She’s definitely talented and very good looking, drop dead gorgeous.

1:03 pm - Wednesday, March 9, 2011

#17 Vikki

I came across your site by doing an assignment for an online course in college. Great photos! Wishing you continued success.

7:51 pm - Saturday, March 12, 2011

#18 james B Bharathi

wonderful

6:32 pm - Monday, April 4, 2011

#19 Social Media Services

There is a little known trick to get connected with those sites that Google ‘prefers’. To find this, start looking in your Google Profile :)

Andy