3 replies to this topic

#1 rhysb123

rhysb123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:33 PM

hello,
does anyone know how to operate a canon 580EX speedlite wirelessly? Do i need any extra bits of kit?
I have a canon 20D.
thanks,

rhys baker

My Webpage

#2 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 08:04 AM

My understanding of wireless systems is, yes you do need more kit. I believe the wireless system consists of a transmitter which attaches to your camera, and slave unit or units (recievers) which attach to the flash units. You can have multiple slave units for different lighting arrangements. Try the canon website, or Jessops, who probably have some compatible (and cheaper) systems.
Hope this helps
donmac

#3 Guest_Billy R._*

Guest_Billy R._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (rhysb123 @ Dec 5 2005, 12:33 PM)
hello,
does anyone know how to operate a canon 580EX speedlite wirelessly? Do i need any extra bits of kit?
I have a canon 20D.
thanks,

rhys baker

My Webpage

You've probably already gotten this information but just in case, you need a Canon ST-E2 transmitter. You can also use a 580 EX as a transmitter for another 580 EX. I have an ST-E2 for my D20 with two 580 EX units. Although I haven't used this system in the field I've been doing some tests in my living room, and believe they will be useful to me. Here in the States you can get this equipment at BH Photo, but I believe you're in the UK. I expect you can find it there though. Hope this helps.

#4 Guest_john keys_*

Guest_john keys_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (rhysb123 @ Dec 5 2005, 12:33 PM)
hello,
I have a canon 20D.
thanks,

rhys baker

My Webpage

all EX speedlite comes with a mini stand for you to attach on for wireless use. you can use your 580ex as either a master unit to controll (as transmitter) other flash unit to fire or as a slave unit (fire only on command of a transmitter). you make you selection on your 580ex unit at the bottom where it says (off.master.slave.). With only one flash unit, you can only go wireless if you have a transmitter attach on the hot shoe of your 20D (canon transmitter ST-E2) or if you have another flash unit capable of being a master unit (transmitter) such as 550ex or another 580ex is even better. but to save some money you can get a 420ex or a 430ex to use as a slave unit (only) and your 580ex as master. In these case you can use your 580ex to transmit and fire at the same time or if you chooses to transmit only, you can make your selection by pressing the zoom button until the flash sign flashes and use the main dial to change from on to off (written on the of the flash sign) and press "set" (small button on the main dial). NOTE: if you intend to use manual flash mode on you 580ex, do not purchase the 420 or 430ex they do not support manual flash wireless transmittion. They only respond to E-TTL mode transmittion. You have to get another 580 or a 550ex to make manual wireless transmittion/reception possible. No problems at all if you plan on using autoflash(E-TTL: Evaluative through the lense) mode. If you still confuse, write back...
John.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users