Panasonic Lx3 Or Canon S90

3 replies to this topic

#1 Wouter

Wouter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

I'm looking for a handy, light-strong camera, with a good wide angle. After a long surf, there are 2 camera's left in the running.

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 has a 24mm Leica lens, but the maximum zoom is 60mm... but it has a Leica lens (i like Leica (to much?)) rolleyes.gif
The Canon PowerShot S90 has a 28-105mm lens... but it is a Canon (i'm also a Nikon-man) unsure.gif
Both have a 2.0 opening at wide angle, the LX3 keeps 2.8 at maximum zoom, the S90 4.9...
Also are they highly recommanded (LX3 22.5/25 - S90 21/25)

Can anybody tell me what's the best buy? thanks!

#2 mald

mald

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Wouter @ Feb 24 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for a handy, light-strong camera, with a good wide angle. After a long surf, there are 2 camera's left in the running.

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 has a 24mm Leica lens, but the maximum zoom is 60mm... but it has a Leica lens (i like Leica (to much?)) rolleyes.gif
The Canon PowerShot S90 has a 28-105mm lens... but it is a Canon (i'm also a Nikon-man) unsure.gif
Both have a 2.0 opening at wide angle, the LX3 keeps 2.8 at maximum zoom, the S90 4.9...
Also are they highly recommanded (LX3 22.5/25 - S90 21/25)

Can anybody tell me what's the best buy? thanks!

I've had a similar dilemma looking for something to pocket for all those missed shots. I'd say the canon is the better bet, namely for its performance at higher ISO settings ( the Panasonic review here points out the failings) and this review by the well respected Ken Rockwell: http://www.kenrockwe...ded-cameras.htm

#3 Wouter

Wouter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for your reply ! I'd read the article and was convinced.
He is also a litlle bit cheaper, and objectively seen, just a better camera, with easy manual functions.
So thank you !

ps: this topic can be closed !

#4 ericdesouza

ericdesouza

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

The S90 has one feature that makes it very interesting to me - the combination of the wheel + the back panel dial makes manual shooting fun. Using the dial around the lens to control apertureand the back-panel dial controlling shutter, combined with the effects on exposure along with histogram, is amazingly fluid.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users