Cost Of Equipment

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

Guest_The Return of Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:54 PM

European friends,

So, we may get a VAT here in the states. My observations on this site and others are that people in Europe often lament about the unfairly high price required to buy cameras, lenses, software, etc. due to VAT.

Can you help elaborate and study this situation a bit? Am I right to be nervous about this? Is it going to remove me from the new photo equipment market, make it more difficult to upgrade every 18 months or so? Should I buy new equipment now, or settle into the idea of being satisfied with what I've got?

Is it much ado about nothing?

Chris

#2 photocat

photocat

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ Apr 15 2010, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
European friends,

So, we may get a VAT here in the states. My observations on this site and others are that people in Europe often lament about the unfairly high price required to buy cameras, lenses, software, etc. due to VAT.

Can you help elaborate and study this situation a bit? Am I right to be nervous about this? Is it going to remove me from the new photo equipment market, make it more difficult to upgrade every 18 months or so? Should I buy new equipment now, or settle into the idea of being satisfied with what I've got?

Chris

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see ~ Henry David Thoreau

#3 photocat

photocat

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,758 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

It all depends on what percentage it will end up. Having lived there, and visited a couple of years ago, I always had to think before buying. When I was there the rate was 17.5%. I think it has changed. With all taxes in the US increasing, next year, it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy some needed upgrades now. Just a thought. Cat
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see ~ Henry David Thoreau

#4 alan fear

alan fear

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

In Australia we have a GST (goods and services tax) on everything. The rate started at 10% and has remained there. It does impact though, that $2000 new camera suddenly is $2200. Doesn't seem much, but buy that you-beaut lens @ $1500 and it's $1650. When it is added to everything it does make a big difference.

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ Apr 16 2010, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
European friends,

Chris

#5 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (alan fear @ Apr 19 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Australia we have a GST (goods and services tax) on everything. The rate started at 10% and has remained there. It does impact though, that $2000 new camera suddenly is $2200. Doesn't seem much, but buy that you-beaut lens @ $1500 and it's $1650. When it is added to everything it does make a big difference.

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ Apr 16 2010, 02:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
European friends,

Chris

Oh, I am so glad I got my 100mm is macro lens when I did!

Chris

#6 bard

bard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

The VAT is not an extra expense. It's taxes that are included in the price, as opposed to adding the taxes on after. As a Canadian it's actually refreshing visiting the UK because when you see a price that's what you pay, as opposed to hear where the list price is $1000 but then you end up paying $1130. The only reason to be afraid of a VAT type tax is if you're only paying lets say a state tax on purchases, but then suddenly you also get dinged for a federal tax too - that's what the Canadian GST (same as VAT) is comprised of.
Toronto Wedding Photographer

Gear: Nikon D700, Nikon 50mm 1.4, Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Nikon D200 backup, Nikon 18-200mm VR

#7 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 21 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

I can't think of a rational reason why VAT in the US would eliminate the state sales tax. It would only increase all prices, as I see it. Our government doesn't add a tax in order to ease our mind, only to take more money. There is no rational reason not to see this as an extra expense if it raises the price I pay on anything.

Chris

#8 tivey

tivey

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:22 PM

Yes it does make a difference! In the boating scene it makes such a difference that it makes sense to import boats, bought in the States, via Spain - which certainly had a much lower rate of VAT, before then transporting them to the UK. It is 17.5% here. (As long as VAT was paid somewhere in the EU tax people were happy.)

It will depend what the rate is set at but certainly cameras and boats are regarded as luxuries and so get the higher rate here.

Yep - go get your gear now!

(And can I give you a shopping list of yachtie gear to buy before it comes in!!)

Viv

#9 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

Viv, I'll glue all my equipment boxes together and sail on that! tongue.gif

Chris

#10 BOBWED

BOBWED

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts
  • Interests:I like to walk. That is my main enjoyment. Because I care for my mom full time, I don't have much else to be involved with. I like photography because carrying a camera on a walk makes me notice more and look harder at what I pass. I like funny slants on things.

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ Apr 22 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Viv, I'll glue all my equipment boxes together and sail on that! tongue.gif

Chris

You are not telling the whole story here, Chris. These people are entitled to a little more information about your adversion to the VAT. You live in the State of Washington which has no State income taxes. Immediately south of Washington is the State of Oregon which has no State sales tax. So you can live in Washington and pay no State income tax and drive to Portland to buy things and pay not State sales taxes; and then bring them back to Washington to enjoy your purchases. So, basically compared to virtually anywhere else in the United States much less the World you enjoy the least tax burden of anyone. So, of course any tax to you would be disturbing such an enviable position that is yours. It is like the person that has it all, but can't have enough.
BobWed

#11 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:53 AM

I dunno, Bob, but I think Washington's up there for taxes just fine as is. I've heard many politicians complaining about how we're one of the highest taxed states in the union. I suppose the figures are there if somebody wanted to look it up. And we just had new taxes go into affect on candy, cigarettes, booze, pop, and bottled water. The B&O tax (tax on business earnings regardless of whether those earnings are a profit or a loss) also went up, making it less palitable to start a business, and less likely to make money owning a business unless you fire an employee or raise prices. The thing is, I don't for a second believe an implementation of VAT will cause anybody's taxes, sales, property, income, user fees, B & O, whatever, to go down a cent.

It's a few hundred miles from here to Oregon, so the amount paid for gas (yes, even in a Prius) and wear & tear on the ol' car would counteract any alleged savings. Not to mention the increased potential for death or maiming by driving so much on I-5. Maybe if I lived in Vancouver, but I don't. Anyway, the VAT information seeking point of this thread is to try to find more information about the affect of this particular tax on the country, not individual states.

I hope I didn't say something to annoy you, by the way, because part of your comment seems kind of on edge. Sorry, if that's the case.

Chris

#12 Loveshooting

Loveshooting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:54 AM

I reckon so. I've checked out it all and it looks a cracker, well just so long as you dont step over the 1000.00 mark. That said, anything less than 1000 and as the dude says you've made a 500 profit.
Every bit of that kit looks 5stars. I'm getting on it but my budget is 950. Good luck fellow lens lovers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MESELX:IT

#13 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:13 AM

Hey, everybody, I just noticed this same exact reply has been posted by this person on three completely unrelated threads, so it should in no way be considered serious or beneficial to our study of VAT. In this particular usage, it seems to be just spam.

Chris

#14 Loveshooting

Loveshooting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ May 7 2010, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, everybody, I just noticed this same exact reply has been posted by this person on three completely unrelated threads, so it should in no way be considered serious or beneficial to our study of VAT. In this particular usage, it seems to be just spam.

Chris

--------

Are you talking about the ebay link? Seriously, was just tyring to help. It's a good bit of kit.

#15 madmike

madmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:44 PM

Chris,
All our countries are in the 'mire' financially & somehow the respective governments are going to have to claw in capital & as usual it's going to be the working guy who gets it in the neck! We currently have a seventeen & a half % VAT rate here in the UK, it will undoubtedly rise to around twenty % very soon. If you are considering buying anything in the land of the free & the home of the brave DO IT NOW! I have made my 'long term' purchases now to save a few bucks. Be thankful you don't live here in the UK where gasoline is in excess of $10 per gallon & set to rise yet again. I love living in this green & pleasant land but it does not have the name 'rip off Britain' for nothing!

Regards, Mike S.
A photograph, like life, is only a moment in time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users