Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:58 PM

Is 64-bit noticeably faster?

#2 webadmin40

webadmin40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:23 PM

you wouldn't say its faster. it can handle more load i.e. in other terms it's multitasking. that would mean you could do a lot many number of things together at the same time. There's also some improvement in the processing effectiveness. by that i mean the conventional programs have more dynamic memory to operate on than compared to it 32 bit counterparts. But yeah they have some issues as well. They don't have that repo as do the 32 bit family.

#3 mccririck

mccririck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well your computer can use more RAM so it will be faster if you are doing RAM intensive tasks.

#4 dannybgoode

dannybgoode

Advanced Member

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (mccririck @ Dec 12 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well your computer can use more RAM so it will be faster if you are doing RAM intensive tasks.

Not entirely true as most software isn't optimised for 64 bit and therefore will still only address a max 4gb ram. Photoshop CS5 is now available as 64 bit as are some high end CAD packages but by and large most packages aren't.

That said, running a 64 bit version of Windows on a computer with 8gb installed will tend to run a little faster overall as Windows will place more of its page file in ram as opposed to on the hard drive which will generally speed up the system overall.

With the price being the same though you may as well go Windows 7 64 bit to future proof your machine.

Cheers

Danny B
No camera takes a great photo, a good photographer does...

#5 Canvas Art Print

Canvas Art Print

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Damn you beat me to it Dan, yes CS5 now is 64 bit so running in 64 bit with more than 4 gig of ram would be good.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users