Newbie From The Uk

8 replies to this topic

#1 BigMackCam

BigMackCam

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hi all... I recently joined PhotographyBLOG (a couple of weeks ago) and have since posted a few of my rather amateurish photos in the Member Galleries. Some of you have already been kind enough to offer encouragement and constructive critique (thank you), and I will try to contribute what I can in the same vein - always bearing in mind that my opinions are worth precisely what they cost :-)

By way of introduction, my name is Mike. I'm based in the UK and I'm a family man in early middle-age :-) I'm interested in both film and digital photography. I have a small collection of equipment ranging from cheap, plastic, "toy" 35mm cameras (such as the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim - a favourite) all the way up to mid-range DSLR (my Pentax K-7 - another favourite!!). As far as my level of ability is concerned, I'd class myself as an enthusiastic and hopeful low-end-amateur - my skills commensurate with a man whose life is primarily taken up with work and home life, and the odd hour or two each week devoted to my hobby (when the British weather isn't against me!).

Looking through the galleries here, I'm amazed at the quality of the photography - not just from those with obvious experience and high end equipment to match, but also at the other end of the spectrum (looking at the EXIF data is so interesting!). If this proves one thing, it's that subject and composition far outway the technical quality of any picture, and I especially like to see some of the wonderful photos taken by those with regular point-and-shoot cameras.

Well, I've waffled on long enough. I guess I'll close by saying that it's nice to be here, and I'll try to do my bit in contributing when and where I can.

Best wishes to all from the UK

Mike
Mike

#2 toronto

toronto

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel, history, aviation, music, fine food and anything, well almost anything, mechanical.

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (BigMackCam @ May 11 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all... I recently joined PhotographyBLOG (a couple of weeks ago) and have since posted a few of my rather amateurish photos in the Member Galleries. Some of you have already been kind enough to offer encouragement and constructive critique (thank you), and I will try to contribute what I can in the same vein - always bearing in mind that my opinions are worth precisely what they cost :-)

By way of introduction, my name is Mike. I'm based in the UK and I'm a family man in early middle-age :-) I'm interested in both film and digital photography. I have a small collection of equipment ranging from cheap, plastic, "toy" 35mm cameras (such as the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim - a favourite) all the way up to mid-range DSLR (my Pentax K-7 - another favourite!!). As far as my level of ability is concerned, I'd class myself as an enthusiastic and hopeful low-end-amateur - my skills commensurate with a man whose life is primarily taken up with work and home life, and the odd hour or two each week devoted to my hobby (when the British weather isn't against me!).

Looking through the galleries here, I'm amazed at the quality of the photography - not just from those with obvious experience and high end equipment to match, but also at the other end of the spectrum (looking at the EXIF data is so interesting!). If this proves one thing, it's that subject and composition far outway the technical quality of any picture, and I especially like to see some of the wonderful photos taken by those with regular point-and-shoot cameras.

Well, I've waffled on long enough. I guess I'll close by saying that it's nice to be here, and I'll try to do my bit in contributing when and where I can.

Best wishes to all from the UK

Mike

Hello Mike,

I welcome you as another who has just joined and yours was a nice intro to the blog.

By the way my name is Bryce and as you can see I'm from Canada or the 'frozen north' as it is/was known before the advent of the alleged global warming phenomena.......smile.gif

#3 BigMackCam

BigMackCam

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:21 PM

Hello Mike,

I welcome you as another who has just joined and yours was a nice intro to the blog.

By the way my name is Bryce and as you can see I'm from Canada or the 'frozen north' as it is/was known before the advent of the alleged global warming phenomena.......smile.gif

Thanks Bryce! I appreciate the welcome and nice to meet you. I will look out for your work in the galleries!

Best wishes from a chilly and equally un-globally-warmed UK :-)
Mike

#4 Erange

Erange

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (cronyoo @ May 13 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I am also new and this is my first post. I am from London and i joined this forum to get some information about photography and gain some knowledge.

Hi,

Nice work, welcome!

#5 reccakeys

reccakeys

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:playing chips

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

Hello guys!!
Welcome to this forum. This is also my first post. I am very glad for being part of this forum. Hope to make friends and share some relevant information with you guys.
See you all around smile.gif

#6 chilly

chilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi Mike.

Welcome! I am new here too. Joined just a couple of days ago..

I live off of Puget Sound, here in Seattle, Washington.

Maybe we could share photography tips etc.?

I am a semi-professional, mostly outdoor photography and family portraits.

Nice to meet you.

Chilly

PS Do you know how I can submit photos to this forum or for contests?
Thanks!

#7 Ryan Quinn

Ryan Quinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Wedding Photography, portraits etc

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:05 AM

Hi all!!
My name is Ryan Quinn, this is my first post and i want to contribute my views according to relevant topics.
I am very thankful for being a part of this forum and i think you guys like my views and here i come to make friends
See you all around guys.
unsure.gif rolleyes.gif

#8 Pixel Alchemist

Pixel Alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Nature Photography, graphic desgin, reading, baking, movies

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hi Mike

welcome to the forums. I am kinda new to. in that I am only now getting more involved in the forums by posting. I'm always happy to help and share what knowledge I have with photography and written a couple of articles on it.
Being New I am unsure if there is a place to post such articles here. If not, I will have my own website up and running soon. So if interested will post url to it. with a loop back to Photoblog.

Hi all look forward to seeing your images, and getting to know you via the forums here

The Contemplation of Beauty causes the Soul to Grow Wings
Plato

#9 Paul1962

Paul1962

• Advanced Members 300
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi Mike

I'm new to and have published a few of my photo's on here, Hope you enjoy it here as I am enjoying the interaction with the people on here as they are very friendly and helpful to us newbies..lol

Have fun

Paul

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users