Best Compact Digital For Automatic Mode

2 replies to this topic

#1 photog mama

photog mama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

I am an amateur photographer, and I really love experimenting within the manual modes of a camera. But this camera is not for me, it's for my husband. He loves to take creative shots and is known to crawl into weird spaces just to get a neat angle. But he doesn't know much about photography, and will generally be known to just use the "Auto" setting on any camera. Our current digital is rather bulky, and he'd like something more compact. He generally takes shots of our 2 kids (ages 2 and 4), with I'd say and equal part of our shooting indoors and out. I'm having trouble picking a camera since most of the camera reviews are not based on just using "Auto". Video capabilities are not a factor for us.

I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic TZ8 and the Ricoh CX3. I was also looking into Fuji's EXR series, but most users complained that while you can get excellent photos out of it, you have to know what you're doing, and the Auto features, even the EXR setting, just boosts ISO way too readily. In general, if it's a setting that my hubby will have to change every time he turns on the camera, he won't do it.

I'm open to other suggestions, too. While I love my SLR, this will likely be our go-to camera just due to size.

#2 Eren S.

Eren S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (photog mama @ Jun 7 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am an amateur photographer, and I really love experimenting within the manual modes of a camera. But this camera is not for me, it's for my husband. He loves to take creative shots and is known to crawl into weird spaces just to get a neat angle. But he doesn't know much about photography, and will generally be known to just use the "Auto" setting on any camera. Our current digital is rather bulky, and he'd like something more compact. He generally takes shots of our 2 kids (ages 2 and 4), with I'd say and equal part of our shooting indoors and out. I'm having trouble picking a camera since most of the camera reviews are not based on just using "Auto". Video capabilities are not a factor for us.

I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic TZ8 and the Ricoh CX3. I was also looking into Fuji's EXR series, but most users complained that while you can get excellent photos out of it, you have to know what you're doing, and the Auto features, even the EXR setting, just boosts ISO way too readily. In general, if it's a setting that my hubby will have to change every time he turns on the camera, he won't do it.

I'm open to other suggestions, too. While I love my SLR, this will likely be our go-to camera just due to size.

I own a Fujifilm Finepix S1500. It takes superb shots in any one of it's three automatic modes, program, auto, and SR (Scene Recignition) Auto. I consider giving it a try, first, because it doesn't feel good in some's hands. I got mine for $150.99 USD at a wholesale club.
Eren S.
Photographer in Cumberland, RI for Photographer's Monthly
eren.alexander.s@gmx.com

#3 agitater

agitater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, investigative research, property management.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (photog mama @ Jun 7 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost every digital compact and prosumer camera model is capable of producing technical image quality sufficient to impress almost anyone. The only wrench in the works is the photographer him/herself. As usual, great photography does not depend on a camera as much as it depends on a camera user with a good eye for composition, light and colour. If your boy is already looking for interesting angles, the battle is probably half won. Great stuff.

The TZ8 and the CX3 each offer an excellent, intelligent Auto mode. JPG files straight out of either camera often need little or no post-processing (in ACDSee or Picasa, or whatever photo editor you happen to prefer).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users