Photo

Photo Comments

11 replies to this topic

#1 sharkskin

sharkskin

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts
  • Interests:Hiking ,outdoor life and sorry,motorcycles.

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:33 PM

[size="3"]I am getting a bit anoyed that the photo comment feature is too often used as a "DiscussionPage".
It should be there to put constuctive comments on an indivduals photo.Not to give history lessons or other opinions .That is what this DISCUSSION forum is for . mad.gif
Dont mean to offend ,but would like others veiws on this .
Sharkskin.
A photo is in the Eye of the taker

#2 BOBWED

BOBWED

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,769 posts
  • Interests:I like to walk. That is my main enjoyment. Because I care for my mom full time, I don't have much else to be involved with. I like photography because carrying a camera on a walk makes me notice more and look harder at what I pass. I like funny slants on things.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Sharkskin, I read your post here as directed towards me since I am "guilty" of saying more than simply a critique. So, I am here respecting your issue, and to address it from my standpoint.

I agree with your complaint. But, as you will unarguably agree posting topics on the discussion board is almost pointless. Few visit and even fewer comment. To the authors of discussion board posts it has to be a very frustrating experience to be so ignored. Your post, and the response it got is a perfect example.

There is more, though. A Blog, as this is, is not simply a critique group nor a gallery. You can find websites that are strictly either one. A Blog is where people carry on active discussion. In the case of Mark's Blog, Mark permits the discussion to take place in the posting gallery. In other Blogs it takes place somewhere else.

The way I look at the Blog is that it is Mark's Blog. The rules I have learned to follow here have been learned simply by following the examples of others. So, if I am guilty of something it is only as copying from my teachers. You posted your topic for all members, not just me. But, until now no other member respected you enough to come here and offer their remarks.

And, this is the most important item I would like to offer you here. Who else respected you to come here and offer their attention to your concerns? No one. And, by that I take it to mean that this is Mark's Blog and the members are behaving as he permits.

Respectfully yours, BobWed

#3 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

Guest_The Return of Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

PhotographyBlog is a community. In a community, the citizens will interact when and where they feel compelled to do so.

Chris

#4 Stephanie911

Stephanie911

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

I would prefer it as well if others would critique photos... Most of them do and sometimes we all slip. It's the way of nature and life. However, I understand how you feel (what with the little comments I get). smile.gif

#5 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:46 PM

I'd like to offer an open invitation for one and all to talk about my pictures, and to connect with other thoughts and feelings that my pictures might bring their way. If my pictures help somebody rememnice (sp?) about their past and share it with others, that's great, because it's part of what I'm aiming for with photography. Not just to display a pretty picture, but to introduce somebody to a new way of seeing, thinking, feeling, etc, and to connect somehow to the totality of being, not only the particular arrangements and magnitude of pixels.

If you want more constructive criticism on your pictures, and only that, you can always make a special request when posting. If you want to inhibit somebody from saying what they feel when seeing your work, I think you're building a wall against honesty and thought.

Chris

#6 toronto

toronto

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Interests:Photography, travel, history, aviation, music, fine food and anything, well almost anything, mechanical.

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:59 PM

Well said Chris, I agree with you but would like to add that all comments should be polite and relavent to the photograph in question. If a more negative is deemed appropriate then perhaps it would be better to use the email falcility. smile.gif

#7 Guest_The Return of Chris_*

• Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:53 AM

I agree with being relavent to the photograph. I suppose somebody might not think a memory spurred by a photo is relavent, but I do, so if you want to say something about it while commenting on one of my pictures, go for it.

Chris

#8 sharkskin

sharkskin

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (The Return of Chris @ Jul 9 2010, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with being relavent to the photograph. I suppose somebody might not think a memory spurred by a photo is relavent, but I do, so if you want to say something about it while commenting on one of my pictures, go for it.

Chris

#9 sharkskin

sharkskin

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your veiws on this.
Each to his own.

#10 mald

mald

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (sharkskin @ Jun 25 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[size="3"]I am getting a bit anoyed that the photo comment feature is too often used as a "DiscussionPage".
It should be there to put constuctive comments on an indivduals photo.Not to give history lessons or other opinions .That is what this DISCUSSION forum is for . mad.gif
Sharkskin.

#11 mald

mald

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (mald @ Jul 16 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sharkskin.

#12 mald

mald

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE (mald @ Jul 16 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sharkskin.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users