Safari Camera

3 replies to this topic

#1 TB1

TB1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hi I am after a bit of help and advice please!
I am going on safari next month and would really like to invest in a good camera so I can come back with some amazing pictures. The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and from reading loads of reviews I am just as confused as when I started!
I have a budget of max 300 and would really like a camera with a good zoom, good in low light and really good photo quality as I would be looking to blow some pics up if I get any really good ones.
Up until now Ive only bought cheap digital cameras, I'd like to step it up a gear but still need something which is going to be easy to use.

Please lend your expertise!
Thanks
rolleyes.gif

#2 agitater

agitater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Technology, photography, investigative research, property management.

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (TB1 @ Jul 27 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am going on safari next month and would really like to invest in a good camera so I can come back with some amazing pictures. The only problem is I have no idea about cameras and from reading loads of reviews I am just as confused as when I started!
I have a budget of max 300 and would really like a camera with a good zoom, good in low light and really good photo quality as I would be looking to blow some pics up if I get any really good ones.
Up until now Ive only bought cheap digital cameras, I'd like to step it up a gear but still need something which is going to be easy to use.

Whatever you do, but a camera NOW. Waiting any longer means you'll be fiddling with the camera while on safari instead of already being familiar enough with the camera to use it more naturally. Besides that, you want to have at least a couple of weeks of use with the new camera to ensure it's working properly and producing technically decent photos.

A safari usually means wildlife photography. Wildlife photography usually demands a wide zoom range. With a budget of 300 quid, your options are actually quite limited. However, the choices available, while few in number, are largely good quality. Try the Canon Powershot SX210 IS and the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ10, both available at Jessop's. Both cameras offer a zoom range out to 300mm which should just be long enough for larger birds and of course the larger animals.

Some people want to isolate birds and animals quite a bit more than 300mm normally provides from safari vehicles. To do that and still keep the price within reaon (while still sticking with the good quality compact camera category), you're going to have to spend at least 450 pounds. If that's out of the question, stick with the two suggestions above and try them out in a store.

#3 TB1

TB1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (agitater @ Jul 31 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (TB1 @ Jul 27 2010, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever you do, but a camera NOW. Waiting any longer means you'll be fiddling with the camera while on safari instead of already being familiar enough with the camera to use it more naturally. Besides that, you want to have at least a couple of weeks of use with the new camera to ensure it's working properly and producing technically decent photos.

A safari usually means wildlife photography. Wildlife photography usually demands a wide zoom range. With a budget of 300 quid, your options are actually quite limited. However, the choices available, while few in number, are largely good quality. Try the Canon Powershot SX210 IS and the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-TZ10, both available at Jessop's. Both cameras offer a zoom range out to 300mm which should just be long enough for larger birds and of course the larger animals.

Some people want to isolate birds and animals quite a bit more than 300mm normally provides from safari vehicles. To do that and still keep the price within reaon (while still sticking with the good quality compact camera category), you're going to have to spend at least 450 pounds. If that's out of the question, stick with the two suggestions above and try them out in a store.

Thank you very much, I have looked at these 2 before so I will definately go and try them out!

#4 metropetro

metropetro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

I also want to go Safari park for photography and I have few advice for that like make sure your safari organizer will provide photographers beanbags for you to use to rest/stabilize your camera on the vehicle.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users