Prints Fading

6 replies to this topic

#1 dazzzin

dazzzin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:28 AM

I currently use a Canon i865 printer, using all genuine inks with photo paper plus glossy grade of photo paper. Print results for photos are excellent however the prints quickly fade when displayed openly. I avoid heavy sunlight or UV or flourescent lighting, but still pictures have noticable fade within 2-3 months. Question is, is there a model of printer (any manufacturer) that can do digitial prints that are resilient to fading? If not completely, then any idea what is a lot better option than what I use currently?

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:24 PM

Any Epson printer that uses pigment inks is a good choice - the R800, R1800 and R2400 are all worth looking at.

HP also offer good print life...
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 dazzzin

dazzzin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for the reply. How resistant are the prints from these machines to fading, do you know? What's the difference with pictures in normal air and those mounted behind glass or sleeves?
thanks

#4 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 03:22 PM

I have used Epson printers for many years now. I have quite a few prints that are 4 years old or more.

If they are exposed to air I have found that, although not fading noticably, they the paper tends to take on a yellowish tinge, getting worse over time. This yellow tinge affects the whole print. If they are under glass or in a sleeve this does not seem to happen.

I would imagine this is the same for most if not all inkjet photos.

#5 jamsa

jamsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:31 AM

Anyone that wants to check out fading Inkjet photo's have a look at this site...it seems to be pretty serious on checking out the inks on various papers for fading...http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

I have an Epson R300 with a CIS..the dark /black change quickly in sunlight.. after just a few months, especially if it's damp air..the R1800 seems to be a lot better as Mark has said previously. Certainly I am looking at a CIS system for the R1800 with Pigment ink but I havent found any reviews of these and hope they perform as well as the Originals..Perhaps epson should produce a CIS for their printers!!

#6 tmat

tmat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, Electronics,Country Walks and real ale.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:03 PM

Iíve been using an Epson R800 since it first came on the market and I have not noticed any fading with photographs behind glass. I have also conducted a rather rough and ready experiment to test for fading. I printed off several pairs of prints one print was left in the open air in fairly bright conditions and the other kept in an album Over the last year I have been checking one against the other and thus far I can say that I have yet to see a noticeable differences between the prints. For the above test I have been using genuine inks and Epson Premium Semigloss Paper.... Tony

#7 jamsa

jamsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:49 AM

Thanks tony,
I was considering the CIS for the R1800 because of the cost of catridges. I notice a CIS with
Pigment inks are priced between £100 and £200 , but I cant assume that these pigments will last as long as the OEM cartridges. I will try to stick to the Epson for the time being. I still use canvas, Lyson and Epson papers and Archival matt for the longevity Epson boast.

QUOTE (tmat @ Dec 12 2006, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iíve been using an Epson R800 since it first came on the market and I have not noticed any fading with photographs behind glass. I have also conducted a rather rough and ready experiment to test for fading. I printed off several pairs of prints one print was left in the open air in fairly bright conditions and the other kept in an album Over the last year I have been checking one against the other and thus far I can say that I have yet to see a noticeable differences between the prints. For the above test I have been using genuine inks and Epson Premium Semigloss Paper.... Tony

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users