Replacement For Fujifilm Finepix E550

3 replies to this topic

#1 NoFlash

NoFlash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and just want to start out by saying thanks for all the great information posted here. I do need some advice on purchasing a new camera. I'm a serious amature and in the good old days spent a lot of time developing my own film and making prints. The digital camera I have been using for the past several years is a Fujifilm Finepix E550. It's malfunctioning and I need a replacement.

I would really like a SLR but the price is prohibitive. The E550 was good enough for my needs and I'm looking for something comparable. Here's the features I'm looking for:

1. Photo quality is most important. The E550 has a great lens and turned out some stunning shots, much better even at 6 megapix vs some of the 12 megapix shots I've seen by other cameras.

2. Fast shutter speed. This is the next most important requirement. Most of the non-SLR have too long a delay between pressing the button and actually taking the shot. The E550 is still slower than an SLR but is good enough and faster than a few other makes I've tried.

3. Manual option or at least some manual control over things like aperture, film speed, manual focus, etc, in case I want to play with things like lighting situations, depth of field, or other effects.

4. Not too expensive. Given the fact that the technology changes so quickly the most I want to spend is around $400 dollars. Of course the cheaper the better, provided the quality is good. Anything decent under $200 ?

5. Size and weight does not matter. It does not have to be tiny or compact. I do not need a lot of advanced features.

Thanks so much in advance.

#2 LaGrange Jim

LaGrange Jim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (NoFlash @ Feb 23 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'm new to this forum and just want to start out by saying thanks for all the great information posted here. I do need some advice on purchasing a new camera. I'm a serious amature and in the good old days spent a lot of time developing my own film and making prints. The digital camera I have been using for the past several years is a Fujifilm Finepix E550. It's malfunctioning and I need a replacement.

I would really like a SLR but the price is prohibitive. The E550 was good enough for my needs and I'm looking for something comparable. Here's the features I'm looking for:

1. Photo quality is most important. The E550 has a great lens and turned out some stunning shots, much better even at 6 megapix vs some of the 12 megapix shots I've seen by other cameras.

2. Fast shutter speed. This is the next most important requirement. Most of the non-SLR have too long a delay between pressing the button and actually taking the shot. The E550 is still slower than an SLR but is good enough and faster than a few other makes I've tried.

3. Manual option or at least some manual control over things like aperture, film speed, manual focus, etc, in case I want to play with things like lighting situations, depth of field, or other effects.

4. Not too expensive. Given the fact that the technology changes so quickly the most I want to spend is around $400 dollars. Of course the cheaper the better, provided the quality is good. Anything decent under $200 ?

5. Size and weight does not matter. It does not have to be tiny or compact. I do not need a lot of advanced features.

Thanks so much in advance.

I just went thru a bunch of new cameras, some borrowed from friends who recently got new ones for Xmas...

I looked at Canon a3100IS, Lumix FP1, Sony w330, ----all low cost
I looked at Canon SX130IS and Finepix 1800 and Lumix ZS5 ---- all med cost

You have to decide what you need, but look at these on Amazon reviews and dpreview.com....

My selection would be the Lumix FP1 for low end ($99 on some sites...) and Lumix ZS5 ($189) if you can spend that much.

The FP1 size and ease of use is hard to beat at that low price level...but colors are a little washed. EV can be set to allow.

The ZS5 is everything you would want as long as you don't want to carry something like the S1800's SLR style box...they are both great for the money...
---------------------------------

Added later: I just looked at some gallery photos by E550....if you have not had the infamous "zoom error" with your E550, you probably love it. So, that said, I would not look at anything less than the Lumix ZS5 or maybe the Canon SX130IS..

GOOD HUNTING...looking for a new cam is a lot of fun, but , yes, many new cams under $250 are not as good in many aspects as your E550 or my trusty old Finepix F30 !!! Zoom and video are better, but low light and color are no better.

#3 andy_229

andy_229

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Canon S95 or Canon G12 are the one I will recommend. It can shoot both Jpeg + Raw and I am sure you wont be disappointed with the image quality, both performs well at low light and the shutter speed is also great.

#4 Larry Hall

Larry Hall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

I will recommend the Canon G12 also, its' very nice you can capture good quality images and great for creating movies, also it has a flip-out screen, a great macro for about 1 cm, an In-camera HDR for multiple exposures and a great battery life in which you can capture images up to 370 shots.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users