3 replies to this topic

#1 quirky quercus

quirky quercus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

Hiya

I have a technical issue, and yes, I *have* tried turning it off and on again!

I wonder if you can help. When I transfer pictures from my camera (a Fuji HS10) to my computer, they come up in most Windows programs as slightly blurred. However, in the Apple program 'Picture Viewer' they are crystal clear and sharp. They are not blurry pictures per se. I think this is because my computer (which runs Vista) is squashing the photos a tiny bit. If I zoom in very slightly in Windows Photo Gallery, they come up sharp.

The problem is that when I want to print out the pictures from file, or upload the pictures to the internet, it is the blurry version that goes. It seems the picture has been saved on my computer in its blurry form.

How can I get my machine (a Toshiba laptop) to accept the pictures in their sharp form?

Any help greatly appreciated, as this is driving me potty.

Cheers

M

#2 WeddingPhotographer

WeddingPhotographer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

I know this is no the answer you were looking for but why not upgrade to WIN7, it's much better...

#3 quirky quercus

quirky quercus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (WeddingPhotographer @ Mar 18 2011, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this is no the answer you were looking for but why not upgrade to WIN7, it's much better...

Weird! I finally got fed up with Vista and upgraded to 7 yesterday!
Will find out today whether problem has disappeared.

Cheers
rolleyes.gif

#4 JackBassV

JackBassV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

Bit late, but you didn't need to upgrade to Win7 from Vista.
I use Vista64 and have no problems like you describe. I think this is because I use a card reader to transfer the files from the cards, not by connecting the camera to the computer via USB cable.

It may be a bit of a pain to remove the sd (or cf) card from your camera and put it into a reader, but it has several advantages.

1: Your camera is restricted to what ever speed the manufacturer has set the USB port to (most are USB 2.0 HS, but some are USB1.1). On the otherhand, you can change your reader to the latest USB3 and get a speed increase. My Class 10 SDHC used to DL at 14MB/s (usb2), with the new usb3 reader (and usb3 ports on the new computer) I get 20+mb/s. Which is noticeable with 25MB raws.
2: You chose where to save the files. I set up a folder for each days shooting (yyyymmdd CameraType) with a sub folder for the raws. That way I know where and when each series of photos was taken.
3: You don't drain your camera battery. Not all cameras can recharge via USB. Which is a pain.

My guess is that it's the software you're using that's causing the problem. And you might still get it with Win7.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users