New Ipad App. "bokeh: A Book About Cameras"

4 replies to this topic

#1 voigtlandier

voigtlandier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

I've written a new iPad app "Bokeh: a book about cameras" that is available on the iTunes store:

http://itunes.apple....o...8?mt=8&ls=1

The app describes the internal workings of a camera. As you set focus, aperture, and shutter speed, the diagram of the internal workings changes, and the scene changes in real time to represent the new parameters.

I would like to get some feedback from the readers of this forum.

Any feedback would be helpful. If you like it, please leave a review on the Itunes store as well.

Thanks

More images at www.bokeh.arqball.com. Here are a few screenshot samples:

#2 voigtlandier

voigtlandier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

[quote name='voigtlandier' date='Apr 30 2011, 03:54 PM' post='18074']

If any of you have tried it, we would like some feedback.

#3 creativegangster

creativegangster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

Quite interesting... I teach an intro to photography course and it would be great to have better tools for teaching students these important concepts.

Before I spend a whopping $1.99 on this is there a video somewhere that shows how this works?

#4 voigtlandier

voigtlandier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (creativegangster @ May 2 2011, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite interesting... I teach an intro to photography course and it would be great to have better tools for teaching students these important concepts.

Before I spend a whopping $1.99 on this is there a video somewhere that shows how this works?

Indeed, I've posted a video on the app website:

http://bokeh.arqball.com

and also on vimeo and youtube:

Vimeo video on Bokeh: A Book About Cameras App

Youtube video on Bokeh: A Book About Cameras App

#5 houdinize

houdinize

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

I do not have an iPad yet (my gift to myself at the end of the school year) I am really excited by the iPad 2's ability to project anything on the screen as I have been wanting an app that I can use to teach my photo students how various camera functions work within the camera, I can only do so much in Keynote presentations. Your app is so amazing and exactly what I have been looking for. I have really contemplated learning iOS developing or getting a grant to pay some developer because the app of my dreams would be something like this where the iPad screen is like looking through the viewfinder of an SLR and you could then teach students different kinds of light meter options. An example: load a Canon AE-1 camera profile, as if you are looking through the viewfinder and you see the LED lights for its Shutter Speed priority light meter. You could even use the iPad's camera to show you a scene and then would have controls for Aperture and Shutter Speed and allow you to simulate changing those dials and view how the light meter tells you the appropriate -stop. It might get too complicate to actually use the camera and display a live scene but could have preloaded images light your Bokeh app has. The most difficult part of teaching traditional film photography for me is getting the kids to understand various kinds of light meters as we use donated cameras and there are so many variations over the years that it can really confuse kids. Another example is the K1000 meter that just uses the needle to indicate exposure. This coupled with your interactive examples of focus and depth of field would be a godsend to us high school photo teachers. Thank you for what you do and hope you keep developing!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users