Small Studio Continuous Lighting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Vieira

Ted Vieira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Jazz, web development.

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:40 PM

I'm just starting to set up a small portrait studio. Currently I've got two octagon softboxes (450w each), a Canon 580ex II and a couple 5in1 reflectors. I'd like some advice from those more experienced in this area.

I'm finding that I get the best results when I place the softboxes about 4-6 feet away from the subject. One on full power and one at about 1/3pwr, each at about a 35degree angle in front of the subject, no flash. My camera settings are 1/100 f5.6 ISO 800.

I'm shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II. Is the 800 ISO going to hurt me when it comes to printing the images? (I'll be sending them out) Especially if I end up making 24"x36" prints? I can move the lights closer and decrease the ISO, but I don't like the effect I get from the lighting.

Anyway, this may be a little to general or vague but I would appreciate any tips or recommendations you might make based on what I have to work with.

Thanks very much!

Ted

#2 brettonmick

brettonmick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Ted Vieira @ May 15 2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm just starting to set up a small portrait studio. Currently I've got two octagon softboxes (450w each), a Canon 580ex II and a couple 5in1 reflectors. I'd like some advice from those more experienced in this area.

I'm finding that I get the best results when I place the softboxes about 4-6 feet away from the subject. One on full power and one at about 1/3pwr, each at about a 35degree angle in front of the subject, no flash. My camera settings are 1/100 f5.6 ISO 800.

I'm shooting with a Canon 5D Mark II. Is the 800 ISO going to hurt me when it comes to printing the images? (I'll be sending them out) Especially if I end up making 24"x36" prints? I can move the lights closer and decrease the ISO, but I don't like the effect I get from the lighting.

Anyway, this may be a little to general or vague but I would appreciate any tips or recommendations you might make based on what I have to work with.

Thanks very much!

Ted

iso settings only accentuate the grain normally, so the lower the iso the closer the grain, and on a 2ft x 3ft print it could be quite noticeable.

Have you tried dropping the shutter speed to 1/60th and going for 100asa/iso?

regards

Brettonmick

#3 Ted Vieira

Ted Vieira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Jazz, web development.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (brettonmick @ May 16 2011, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
iso settings only accentuate the grain normally, so the lower the iso the closer the grain, and on a 2ft x 3ft print it could be quite noticeable.

Have you tried dropping the shutter speed to 1/60th and going for 100asa/iso?

regards

Brettonmick

Thanks Brettonmick,

Yeah, I will try lowering the shutter speed. I'll typically try to use higher speeds for portrait just to ensure a good capture, but I definitely want to lower the ISO. I was just wondering if something sounded odd about having two 3' softboxes (about 450w ea) placed about 3' from the subject and still having to use such a high ISO.

Thanks again,
Ted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users