4 replies to this topic

#1 uppics

uppics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

i have a question about jpeg quality.

does anyone ever worry about jpeg quality? i am an amatuers amatuer. i use picasa for a lot of photo editing; also use gimp and studio line. in picasa's properties box it gives a jpeg quality number. anyone ever worry about that or know about it?

when taking pictures i often use the histogram feature, and, if the histogram looks balanced, i figure i will have a decent shot. should i worry about jpeg quality or move beyond it. my wife, who doesn't know a camera from a pair of glasses, tells me that if i like the picture i shouldn't worry about the jpeg quality. comments please...........

#2 TomJ

TomJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (uppics @ May 28 2011, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have a question about jpeg quality.

does anyone ever worry about jpeg quality? i am an amatuers amatuer. i use picasa for a lot of photo editing; also use gimp and studio line. in picasa's properties box it gives a jpeg quality number. anyone ever worry about that or know about it?

when taking pictures i often use the histogram feature, and, if the histogram looks balanced, i figure i will have a decent shot. should i worry about jpeg quality or move beyond it. my wife, who doesn't know a camera from a pair of glasses, tells me that if i like the picture i shouldn't worry about the jpeg quality. comments please...........

I have found that if you save jpegs at high quality, the image quality is near perfect, and it's very hard to see any compression at all. However, you don't want to do this multiple times (save over and over again) because then you will get compression artifacts.
Anther option is to save as tif with lossless LZW compression. I design custom trade show booths, and the design files and images can get HUGE. I use LZW compression on the images which makes the file much smaller, but the printed output on the trade show booths remains perfect. You can't tell the image was compressed.

PS. Listen to your wife... always. smile.gif

#3 princemkhan

princemkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

I am also having the same problem while editing photos in picassa. Does it really happen because of jpeg quality?

#4 printsnpaints

printsnpaints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

I found this site useful in knowing more about JPEG quality http://www.ampsoft.n...ompression.html. I hope it helps you as well.

#5 pauling

pauling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks printsnpaints for sharing this informative link.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users