2 replies to this topic

#1 LauraJane86

LauraJane86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:15 PM

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting. I'm very new to photography, in fact I'm still at "interest" stage. I'm currently reading a couple of books, one is Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Bookand in it he recommends the Canon 50D or the Nikon D90 as good cameras for those just starting out. I also have checked out the list of best budget DSLR's on photographyblog.com, such as the Nikon D3100, Sony A33, the Canon 550D and the Sony A500.

Can anyone recommend any of these or suggest another camera? I'll probably be buying it second hand and from research I should be able to get all of these cameras under 500 second hand.

I want something that's going to be fairly easy to use for a newbie, but that I can use for the next year or so because I'm not going to be able to upgrade often due to finances. So I don't want something too easy that I'm going to outgrow quickly. I guess I'm looking for the right balance!

Thanks everyone, I'll take any and all suggestions/advice! smile.gif

#2 Wantaway

Wantaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

funnily enough I am in exactly the same position. I have 500 ish and I am just trading up from a mix of ricoh r8 point and shoot and a couple of olympus OM series film cameras.

I too am torn between the Nikon 3100 and the canon eos (and working down from the 550 I can get more additional stuff the lower/older versions I get down to a decent deal on 450s and extra kit). I think I am going to go for the nikon. At 360 with a lens I probably get an extra lens with the money I am saving from not getting the 550. WHich I know is the better overall camera but do I need an external mic? i've also had problems with a canon many years ago and have not quite forgiven them and their customer service.

If I really could convince myself I don't want the option to take movies I'd go for the olympus e620 which I see is about 400 with 2 lenses. I have a soft spot for Olympus.

I guess the choice is yours, each camera has its strengths and an argument can made for each camera and for buying into canon of nikon systems. I'd be interested to know what you eventually decide though. I guess that for me 500 is a lot of money and I'd like to know I am not making the wrong decision. Good to know I am not agonising on my own.

#3 aldo_b

aldo_b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Wantaway @ Jun 19 2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a soft spot for Olympus.

As did I over 30 years, having run a whole yard of OM film cameras and owning a big pile of OM glassware. A big assignment loomed, a million miles from any C-41 processor and digital seemed a way to go.

So I bought a pair of E450's , Jan 2010, his and hers to avoid disputes about settings, and now I realise that the corruption in the boardroom is merely symptomatic of the sickness in the whole company. So they ditched the 4/3 lens system and move to micro 4/3 and now one of the new 450's just doesn't turn on. And there are plenty of discussions out there about failing Oly software and generally Oly debug information is like hens teeth to find.

In my life I like cars that start on cold mornings, coffee that is hot and cameras that get on with the business of taking pictures. None of my mechanical cameras ever refused to take pictures.

My money will never go near Olympus anymore

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users