Photo

Bridge Cameras

3 replies to this topic

#1 Cornish Graham

Cornish Graham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hi living in Cornwall I have many interests, photography being the obvious one, canoeing, surfing, snorkelling, water sports in general, walking, mountain biking, motorcycling and my family.

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Hi I already have a Nikon D60 DSLR with a couple of lenses including a 200mm zoom. However I have been thinking of getting a lighter weight bridge camera as a back up camera and to take as the sole camera on safari next year. Looking to get reasonable zoom length for the safari but good quality pictures I have looked at the Canon SX30IS, the Fujifilm HS10 (not so sure about the AA battery supply) and the Panasonic FZ45 or 100, open to any other makes but these seem to fair the best in the reviews that I have read so far.

With quality of the picture the main driver followed by the need to gain a reasonable zoom length and raw format would be nice what would people suggest?

#2 BaRoN30s

BaRoN30s

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

NeWbIe here at this sort of thing... but for the past couple of days ive also been looking into getting either a bridge camera or my 1st DSLR camera & cant really make my mind up as yet on which to get.. anyhow without going too far off subject have you looked at the Sony HX100v it looks a cracking bridge camera with GPS for geo-taggin the photos with... what i can make out its along the same par as the Canon SX30IS with a few added extras to it.... wink.gif

#3 BOBWED

BOBWED

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,769 posts
  • Interests:I like to walk. That is my main enjoyment. Because I care for my mom full time, I don't have much else to be involved with. I like photography because carrying a camera on a walk makes me notice more and look harder at what I pass. I like funny slants on things.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (Cornish Graham @ Jul 27 2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi I already have a Nikon D60 DSLR with a couple of lenses including a 200mm zoom. However I have been thinking of getting a lighter weight bridge camera as a back up camera and to take as the sole camera on safari next year. Looking to get reasonable zoom length for the safari but good quality pictures I have looked at the Canon SX30IS, the Fujifilm HS10 (not so sure about the AA battery supply) and the Panasonic FZ45 or 100, open to any other makes but these seem to fair the best in the reviews that I have read so far.

With quality of the picture the main driver followed by the need to gain a reasonable zoom length and raw format would be nice what would people suggest?

Have you considered the Nikon P500? At 36x optical seems its zoom should place it in the group. I was surprised that as a Nikon user you had not considered it. By my understanding it is larger in size than your D60, but not sure about the weight. It seems well reviewed, however. Also, what about the L120? I know it is smaller with a shorter zoom, but that's about it. I would not endorse any brand because I am not too familiar with this breed of camera. But, I would think that there might be some similarity between the Nikon zoomers' user interface and your D60's. So, the learning curve and camera handling experience may be more similar and easier to learn. If I said nothing else, it seems to me that the spec's. you read, the reviews you read, and the price are all second fiddle to how it feels in your hands and working with it. So, my main advice is to find the camera you are considering and hold it in your hands & play with it before you buy it. Remember, holding your girl friend's hand is always better than carrying a dead fish. Same for holding a camera. Best regards, BobWed

#4 Cornish Graham

Cornish Graham

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Hi living in Cornwall I have many interests, photography being the obvious one, canoeing, surfing, snorkelling, water sports in general, walking, mountain biking, motorcycling and my family.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (BOBWED @ Jul 29 2011, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Cornish Graham @ Jul 27 2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you considered the Nikon P500? At 36x optical seems its zoom should place it in the group. I was surprised that as a Nikon user you had not considered it. By my understanding it is larger in size than your D60, but not sure about the weight. It seems well reviewed, however. Also, what about the L120? I know it is smaller with a shorter zoom, but that's about it. I would not endorse any brand because I am not too familiar with this breed of camera. But, I would think that there might be some similarity between the Nikon zoomers' user interface and your D60's. So, the learning curve and camera handling experience may be more similar and easier to learn. If I said nothing else, it seems to me that the spec's. you read, the reviews you read, and the price are all second fiddle to how it feels in your hands and working with it. So, my main advice is to find the camera you are considering and hold it in your hands & play with it before you buy it. Remember, holding your girl friend's hand is always better than carrying a dead fish. Same for holding a camera. Best regards, BobWed

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users