3 replies to this topic

#1 David Jerrett

David Jerrett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

A new experience fro me...
The other day I was walking around Huddersfield city centre and had my camera around my neck. A city employee came up to me and told me that cameras were not allowed and that if the CCTV people caught me I would be fined.
I aksed him why. He did not know. I emailed the council and was told that "indeed cameras are prohibited from Huddersfield city centre". No reason was given. I guess they have, for some reason, taken the anti-terrorism law and twisted it to enable this restriction?

Is this normal for the UK, or wherever you live?
Have you encountered this sort of thing?
What are your thoughts on this reduction of personal freedom?

#2 Matthew Grayson

Matthew Grayson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (David Jerrett @ Oct 5 2011, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A new experience fro me...
The other day I was walking around Huddersfield city centre and had my camera around my neck. A city employee came up to me and told me that cameras were not allowed and that if the CCTV people caught me I would be fined.
I aksed him why. He did not know. I emailed the council and was told that "indeed cameras are prohibited from Huddersfield city centre". No reason was given. I guess they have, for some reason, taken the anti-terrorism law and twisted it to enable this restriction?

Is this normal for the UK, or wherever you live?
Have you encountered this sort of thing?
What are your thoughts on this reduction of personal freedom?

Hi David,
I think in this circumstance it's fair to say that you'd have the law on your side. You're allowed by law to take pictures of whoever and whatever you like as long as you're on public land and property. Unless there's specific signage restricting it for certain purposes such as sensitive buildings (government, military). I don't think Huddersfield can be considered a sensitive area, but I may be wrong.

A lot of it is common sense: Taking pictures of school yards or parks where kids are playing can ask for trouble. I take pictures at the park - of my kids - but make sure other kids aren't in shot when I do. If a parent asked me, I could prove I've not taken a picture of their child, but they wouldn't be able to stop me taking pictures, it's just common sense that I do it.

Sheffield is pretty cool actually. The Police and City Centre Ambassadors let you get on with it.

I digress, I think unless Huddersfield Council can prove that there's a valid reason you're not allowed to take pictures, then they haven't got a leg to stand on. They might try to hide behind section 44, but they can't.
I have this link - albeit to Wikipedia - about section 44 and section 47a which was added after section 44 was declared illegal under the European Convention of Human Rights. Click me
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

#3 David Jerrett

David Jerrett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

I was begining to wonder if anyone except me thought that this was not right. I have been toting my camera all over the world for years and not ever been told that they were banned from a particular area. Exceptions of US government buildings and the like. I can understand folks being wary of strangers in parks photographing kids and stuff..so a sign in a place like that would be fine. As a parent, I would welcome it. But an outright ban on cameras from a city..bizarre..and in Huddersfield of all places..get real!
I am glad that this seems to be an isolated incident.

#4 Matthew Grayson

Matthew Grayson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

I think it is.

What gets me is that everyone thinks someone walking around with a massive camera, selection of lenses and a huge tripod is a terrorist. I've seen CCTV footage of a train pulling into a station, the doors opening and someone stepping off. They take a picture of the station platform with their phone and get back on. THAT'S more likely to be terrorist activity but the authorities don't seem to understand that.

I thought times were changing with people's attitudes to photographers but then something like this happens and it knocks it all back again.
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users