Photo

Ratings Yes Or No

24 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the numeric rating system be scrapped

Should the numeric rating system be scrapped

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:17 PM

There have been many heated and quite intense arguments with regard critics leaving what is thought to be bad numeric ratings for images on the blog. Also, there are many people that will leave only a numeric rating, not leaving a comment as to why the image was liked or disliked. So my feeling is that the numeric rating system should be scrapped, maybe replaced with a better one, or even just got rid of all together.
This will then leave the critic the option to comment on the image more constructively in my humble opinion.
What say you?

G@zm@ster ph34r.gif
Regards

G@zz@

#2 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:29 PM

Interesting, 7 views and no opinions or votes blink.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif smile.gif
Regards

G@zz@

#3 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

BTTT

Come on people, let's see some good old democracy in action smile.gif

G@zz@
Regards

G@zz@

#4 tumrumble

tumrumble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Am with you on this. I already only leave comments hopefully helpful maybe not. I see the same sort of infighting on a lot of photo sites whereever there are ratings. I will say it doesnt totally go away because comments also can spark problems but thats up to individuals to give and accept comments in good spirit. Good on you for speaking up about it.

#5 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:23 PM

Many thanks Tumrumble for your support and comments smile.gif much appreciated.
Regards

G@zz@

#6 Bridget

Bridget

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing the piano,my job with the elderly,and of course photography.

Posted 11 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

I think the rating system is difficult to get right.Some members are more advanced than others,so opinions will differ.I think though that for beginers like myself it is nice to be able to see if a photo is good or not so good and why.So perhaps the ratings can be a little unfair at times.Constructive critism good or bad worded correctly would ,i think suffice without the nasty inuendos. smile.gif .Ratings then perhaps should be replaced with something differant.imo. biggrin.gif

#7 tetleyjackrussel

tetleyjackrussel

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Photography,history,wildlife,walking tetley,drinking beer,rugby,computer games,toy soldiers,most things really pretty broad minded

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:21 PM

Hi Gaz just home for a bit of R and R, I totally agree with you but wouldnt it be more advisable to increase the rating system.For some people if they see a ten rating they believe that the vote is equivelent to an Ansell Adams picture however it is not,but if they saw a 18 out of 20 it would not offend their purist views.I myself have a cracking camera and Im buggered if I can take a shot on it that Im truly pleased with, but I do like someone to give me a mark ,call me old fashioned but its like being at school we all need a point to or mark to judge ourselves by. .Hopefully this might stop a lot of drawn daggers its possibly the difference between a quid and two pound which is !.99 if you know what I mean.Thats my sway on it but Im either in two minds or undecided smile.gif

#8 alfiebasher

alfiebasher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hi all,Same old subject arises again.ever since ive been using this site there has been controversy about the rating system,i myself took offence to a rating i was given when i first joined and angerly replied.hence not knowing the person at the time,ie;Gav Davies which as you all know produces fantastic shots. and he was only trying to help me with Constructive critism,Once i stopped taking offence,and actually thought about what he was saying,it all started to fall into place,If it wasnt for him, my standard of photo`s would have remained the same.(not that they have improved that much lol) but i for one believe that critism on all levels is a valuable asset to this blog,Good or Bad take it for what it is,don`t feel offended by comments,try to learn by them
As for ratings, well there not that important are they?? to me there not!! I appreciate good or bad comments more then ratings,
sorry to go on, didn`t mean to write a book!! ha ha!! laugh.gif

#9 potto

potto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:55 AM

While sympathising with the dilemma i for one would be sorry to see the ratings go. I think that they often provide a bit of realism that the comments don't provide or which people feel unable to put into words tactfully. (although ideally they should). I think we all get a bit over sensitive about the ratings anyway..... i would rather have a low rating and no comment than absolutely nothing at all.........I mean a one rating even suggests that i have evoked something with my image...!!!

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (potto @ Feb 12 2006, 09:55 AM)
While sympathising with the dilemma i for one would be sorry to see the ratings go. I think that they often provide a bit of realism that the comments don't provide or which people feel unable to put into words tactfully. (although ideally they should). I think we all get a bit over sensitive about the ratings anyway..... i would rather have a low rating and no comment than absolutely nothing at all.........I mean a one rating even suggests that i have evoked something with my image...!!!  .

I have also noticed on sites that have no rating systems a couple of things...1. the general standards of photographs and posters do not seem as high

2. Sites are quiter with less commenting and discussion  generated comments tend to be
                                                                                                                  platitudes rather than constructive and offering technical advise or pointing out mistakes.

Both points leading to a less constructive learning enviroment for improving ones own photography skills.

#11 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hi Guys...Hmmm. not this old chestnut .I agree with Potto,I too would be disappointed to see the rating system go, quite often you can be faced with alarge group of pleasing images and I personally find it easier and less time consuming to give a positive rating then to seach around for some original comment. I think also you get to know which ratings to value after a time and I believe most people now are attempting to be a bit more 'realistic' in there ratings. Someone mentioned ratings upto 20 that might be a solution. But remember one persons amazing image is anothers.......yawn! Take care Jogi
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#12 janzark

janzark

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:reading sci fiction, photography, endurance riding with my part bred arab gelding, working with rescued dogs, just adopted old dog from Dogs Trust in England

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

I have voted to keep the ratings, I know it can be a double edged sword, but I have found they give inspiration in the fact that a good rating is a measure of the pleasure given by a pic, regardless of the level of expertise of the rater.

However the difficulty is in not knowing the level of expertise of the person actually taking the shot. and the expertise and level of ability of the rater, ie I sometimes rate some of Tootsie's 'hard' (in as much as they're still miles better than anything I've ever taken) against her own standards of excellence. The same shot by a newcomer would justify rating better, to give encouragement for their effort. It is a fine balance.
some other sites have a system of ratings which include categories like 1-10 for originality, composition, overall appeal, or similar. perhaps this would allow more indepth critique via ratings and let the photographer know how the rater is judging the photo and why.

I also agree with potto /tetters that a broader range (ie 1-20) would allow more subtlety and variance in the system.

OK moan over, before I too write a novel (again)lol.
Jan unsure.gif

#13 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

Hardly a moan Jan ,just a rational approach echoing the latter part of this thread, remember that most of the time it works ok as it is guys.I like the idea of sort of sub devisions of ratings though....Jogi cool.gif
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#14 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:53 PM

BTTT Democracy can't work with just 10 votes, come on people biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Regards

G@zz@

#15 desertpea

desertpea

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:56 PM

This old chestnut keeps cropping upt time after time whenever there is a perceived 'disturbance in The Force', but it manages to level out after a while. There are sites where there are not ratings systems, but I always feel that they're a bit muddy somehow. No system is perfect and, in the main, there's not much wrong with having a ratings system unless people choose to take offence, or be petty in their ratings without giving constructive criticism. Personally, I'd like to see a system which reflects both the personal appeal of the photograph and the technical aspects - something like Figure Skating in the Winter Olympics where there are points given for technical expertise and artistic interpretation. You can have technically striking photographs without any 'soul' and vice versa.

To cut a long story short I don't see anything wrong with how things are and have been on the site. If you don't want to give a rating, don't. But I quite like it. I take seriously the 'scores' I get from people whose work I appreciate, and would like to have more constructive criticism. I hope I can ignore the rest. When the history of the world is written, none of this will get a mention. Let's just have fun and hope to improve what we do. Meanwhile, let's not get our knickers in a twist.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users