Compact Digital Camera Under 200

2 replies to this topic

#1 CompactLife

CompactLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

First of all Hello everyone my names Mark and I'm new to these Forums!

To get straight to the point I am being bought a digital camera of my choice for Christmas for the Value of up to 200
Technology seems to move so fast I have totally lost touch with Camera requirements and it's been a while since I was able to bring out my Nikon D40
I want a camera with good image quality Obviously, Its not a substitute for my DSLR but it may enable me to be more dynamic in my shooting as it is easier to carry around.
I have been looking around at the cameras available at the moment and there is all sorts of technology about. I've spotted one with GPS!! What is this for? And should I get it?
My requirements are a good all rounder with a good sensor thus providing good image quality. A few manual options to get my teeth into so i can be a little creative with my pictures and some form of HD video capability would be of benefit to me. I will be photographing both inside and out maybe sometimes in low light and both scenic and people.
Please could any body offer me advice or point me in the right direction as I'm stuck and time to order before christmas is running out.

Kindest Regards

Mark

#2 Bee Jay

Bee Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Photograph, obviously, buses, trains, and music.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Hi & welcome Mark

As you said, many compacts have GPS now. Personally I wouldn't pay extra for my camera to tell me what city I'm taking pictures in, or if you're lucky, what building, but that's up to you. The best high quality compacts out there for around 200, I think, are the Nikon S9100, good quality photos even on its long zoom, but the camera has no manual modes. Canon's Powershot SX220HS. If you look about, say a highstreet camera store strarting with J, you can now pick one up for around 180. It performs well in low light, has a long zoom & HD vid. Don't go for the SX230HS unless you want to pay for GPS. I've been researching these and all the other options for the last year, as I know someone who's looking to buy a camera in this range. The Canon is my choice, as it has auto, shutter, aperture & full manual modes. I don't know if you've thought about a bridge-camera, but super-zoom compacts now have all the telephoto you would normally want, so the extra bulk isn't often worth it.

Good luck, John

#3 CompactLife

CompactLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Fantastic thank you for the welcome and the very helpful advice John
I shall go away with what you've told me and have a good look at Canon's as I was already thinking it was between a Canon, Panasonic Lumix and a Nikon Compact.

rolleyes.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users