2 replies to this topic

#1 jhnel

jhnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Travl, Photography

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:12 PM

I have a 5 mega pixel camera and only print 10 x 15 cm. I don’t do a lot of cropping either.
If I need to save memory card space and want to shoot at a lower resolution, how low could I go before the print quality will deteriorate? I also have a choice between ‘Fine’ and ‘Standard’ Quality. Should I stick to ‘Fine’ which also takes up more space, but the quality is higher.
My choices are 2560x1920; 2304x1728; 2048x1536; 1600x1200; 1280x960; 640x480
Quality ‘Fine’ or ‘Standard’

#2 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

The general rule for printing photo quality is use around 300dpi ( dots per inch ).
15 x 10 cm equates to about 6 x 4 inches so that means you need a resolution of 1800 x 1200. or above. Even the setting below this is probably good enough.
The fine or medium setting is a personal choice. A few years ago I bought a camera with these settings and could not see any visible difference in quality. Thinking that therewas a fault with the camera I phoned the shop where I purchased and they referred me to the manufacturer.The manufacturer could not tell me what the difference was but advised me to use the lesser setting as I would not be able to see any visible difference. Very strange. As far as I am aware the difference is in the way the camera processes the image. The difference will probably only be noticable under certain photographic conditions, but in general, and at the size you are printing, the medium setting will produce great results.
Hope this helps. smile.gif
donmac

#3 jhnel

jhnel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Travl, Photography

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (donmac @ Feb 18 2006, 01:52 AM)
The general rule for printing photo quality is use around 300dpi ( dots per inch ).
15 x 10 cm equates to about 6 x 4 inches so that means you need a resolution of 1800 x 1200. or above. Even the setting below this is probably good enough.
The fine or medium setting is a personal choice. A few years ago I bought a camera with these settings and could not see any visible difference in quality. Thinking that therewas a fault with the camera I phoned the shop where I purchased and they referred me to the manufacturer.The manufacturer could not tell me what the difference was but advised me to use the lesser setting as I would not be able to see any visible difference. Very strange. As far as I am aware the difference is in the way the camera processes the image. The difference will probably only be noticable under certain photographic conditions, but in general, and at the size you are printing, the medium setting will produce great results.
Hope this helps. smile.gif
donmac

Thanks a lot!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users