Superzooms & Tele-converters

1 reply to this topic

#1 SydneyTez

SydneyTez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

Have Canon SX20IS which we are looking at upgrading.
Usage: travel & nature, especially flora & fauna. We take hand held opportunistic shots.
Mode: we use mainly Auto & P, sometimes scns like sunset etc. Don't use manual controls.
Use maximum zooms frequently, also super macro
Camera must have a viewfinder, using just screen we find too difficult
Don't want separate lens camera types

Our favourite feature of Canon is its digital tele-converter
Our dislike of Canon is its weight - do a lot of bush walking & 700g camera (with batteries) is a drag

This is our current list of cameras with 30X optical zooms
a) Fujifilm HS20, rejected because of weight & size
b) Fujifilm S4000. Had Fuji before, like this camera maker, size & weight but is this too downmarket from SX20?
c) Canon SX40HS weighs 600g, with batteries? Obvious replacement but still heavy
d) Nikon Coolpix P500, smaller, 100g lighter
e) Sony DSC HX100V, smaller, lighter than SX40

Our questions are:
1) are there any other bridge cameras to consider that meet our needs?
2) Do b) d) e) above have the equivalent of the Canon digital tele-converter?
Note: we consider the tele-converter to be a major requirement in a superzoom, ideally, we want this in a less weighty camera

#2 RayOfMinneapolis

RayOfMinneapolis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:01 AM

I don't have a lot of time to awnser your questions specifically, but when you search these forums for the powershot SX40HS, this is the only thread that comes back!

I use an SX40HS, so I thought I would whole heatedly recommend it. Although now, you may get more enjoyment from it's replacement model, the SX50HS.

Like I said, I'm short on time now, but if you'd like to check out some photos and videos I've made with Canon Powershot SX40HS, you can brows my youtube page at http://www.youtube.c...is?feature=mhee

Here is a playlist I made of SUPER MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY using the SX40HS with a Raynox DCR 240 lens on it. <-- Click there.

Cheers!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users