Photo

What Are Advantage Of A Bridge Camera Over A Superzoom Compact?

3 replies to this topic

#1 The Scotsman

The Scotsman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:20 PM

I am still uncertain if i would see a marked improvement between a superzoom compact and a superzoom bridge camera, I am considering something like a Panasonic lumix FZ45 or FZ48, but I am also looking at a Panasonic TZ18 or TZ20.
The lens specs and overall camera specs are very similar, so why do people go for the bridge cameras?
Any comments are appreciated.

#2 Bee Jay

Bee Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Photograph, obviously, buses, trains, and music.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

It's a question I wonder often. If you're getting a bridge camera with a 18X to 23X zoom, I can't see the point. If however you get one with a 30X plus telephoto, the advantages speek for themeselves; more shooting range, less need for cropping later. That's a about it as far as I can tell.

#3 CP140

CP140

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (Bee Jay @ Feb 16 2012, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a question I wonder often. If you're getting a bridge camera with a 18X to 23X zoom, I can't see the point. If however you get one with a 30X plus telephoto, the advantages speek for themeselves; more shooting range, less need for cropping later. That's a about it as far as I can tell.

A big plus for me buying a bridge (FZ200) vs. a compact superzoom was the viewfinder. In many lighting conditions, a screen becomes very difficult to see/use. Other advantages are the (arguably) greater number of modes (Aperture/Shutter priority, manual, bracketing etc.) available to me. Add in the ability to screw a filter onto the lens.

#4 Canadian

Canadian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

I have had a few bridge cameras, Canon, Nikon, and loved the ability to crop within the frame.  Like the previous member, I think the long zoom opens all kinds of possibilities.

The last one I had was 50X and I was looking at the new ones with 60X but I finally decided on the Nikon D5300 with the 18-140 lens and will get a longer telephoto for that type of work.  I wanted clearer photos, so larger sensor and more resolution.  I also wanted faster focusing, and better Frames per second which you don't get with the bridge cameras.

Good Luck

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1)