Photo

Are You Surprised? Am I Doing Something Wrong?

No replies to this topic

#1 blb

blb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hello.

I have a Canon T2i and a Sony Nex 5n. For myriad reasons, I would like to sell one and had planned to sell the 5n reasoning that the Canon, though more cumbersome, was more versatile. However, in order to be sure, over the past couple weeks, I've carried both on a couple walks. Shooting jpegs, and with the kit 18-55 on each, both set to P and with center focus, I cannot believe how much sharper the images are from the 5n. For instance, when I zoom 100%, the Canon files let me see that there is a box inside the upper story window of the office building I've just shot. The Sony files let me read the labels on that box. I know this is pixel-peeping, but the clarity and dynamic range is better throughout the entire image and is visible at normal viewing sizes. I can't believe there is truly that much difference between the cameras - specifically, I can't believe the canon is that soft. What am I missing? Would this distinction fade if I shot RAW? Is the t2i known for weak jpegs and the 5n for strong? Is the much maligned sony lens really that much better than the kit Canon? Or, do you think I really am seeing a true difference (in which case, it's not the sony that gets sold)?

Thanks,
BLB

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users