Canon Sx230is Or Kodak Z990

2 replies to this topic

#1 lyndeenaj

lyndeenaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

I am an amature photographer at best. All I really want in a camera is to get non-blurry pictures when I am out and about with my active children. I like the zoom feature on both cameras. I really can't figure out which camera is better to meet my needs. Generally I use my camera for family pictures, indoor and outdoor activities such as family vacations, skiing, lake trips, dance recitals, etc. I want the camera with the least amount of downtime between shots. Which is better, the Canon SX230is or the Kodak Z990?

#2 lyndeenaj

lyndeenaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

After going to every camera/electronic store in my area, and playing with a lot of digital cameras I bought a Sony Hx100. It's more expensive than the SX230 or the Kodak, but I'm happy overall. The SX230 seemed so small in my hands and got lost in my husbands hands. The flash location was really in the wrong place making it difficult to hold the camera. I didn't purchase the Kodak because I was concerned about the quality of the camera, it felt cheap. This is just my observation, I don't know if it is true or not, I did not purchase it at any point in time.

I brought home the Canon SX40 as well. I liked the color of the Canon images better than the Sony. The Sony seems to oversaturate reds and greens. I think I can correct this by learning how to use the camera. Also, the colors are more red on the LCD screen and less red when I put them on the computer or print them. Also, changing the LCD brightness helped a little. I found the Canon a bit more cumbersome to change settings manually. Also, there was knocking in the camera when it was adjusting to changed settings or focusing. Also, the lense seemed to scrape or drag a little when zooming.

The Sony captured movement quicker. It froze my kids jumping on the trampoline without a lot of blurring in action mode, auto mode, and programmable auto mode. I prefer programmable auto mostly so I can change color settings, contrast, white balance, etc. The lag time between shots was significantly better than the Canon with and without flash. I used a class 10 SD card.

Please note, I am NOT a photographer.

#3 printsnpaints

printsnpaints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

Sorry if this is not one of your choices but Canon EOS5 Mark III would be best for you Lyn. The EOS 5D Mark series of camera have been trusted by professional and amateur photographers, independent film makers and as well as the common people in love with digital photos and videos to give them the exact realization they want in their captured photos and videos. The features of Canon EOS 5D Mark III include its high frequency capture. It can capture with a speed of 6 Hertz. That is, in a single second it can provide six independent frames. With that ability, the camera would be good to capture hardly noticed transitions in motion.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users