Photo

Converter's

1 reply to this topic

#1 djj1947

djj1947

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:Photography,history,travel,<br />old buildings,my family and grandchildren,my camera,going out<br />taking photo's of nature,wildlife

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Love to get a longer lens for wildlife but pocket is empty,so would it worth getting 1x4 converter or stick to a 2 times converter,
or wait,
regards
D J JENNINGS

#2 JackBassV

JackBassV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (djj1947 @ Mar 10 2012, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love to get a longer lens for wildlife but pocket is empty,so would it worth getting 1x4 converter or stick to a 2 times converter,
or wait,
regards

Take it you mean a 1.4x as in 30+ years I've never seen a 4x converter (I actually own a Vivitar 3x converter - M42 fit.)

For best quality, the 1.4 would be better, but a 2x converter would give only slightly worse results (assuming that they are from the same manufacturer.)

An alternative - one I actually use - is to buy second hand. As well as collecting camera (20+ inc 7 35mm SLRs) I have a large collection of lenses, everything from a pentacon 29mm though to a Alpex 200mm. I use mount adapters for my Samsung NX10 which gives the lenses a 1.5x factor. Just to put it in context, I bought a Vivitar Series 1 135mm f2.3 (Konica/AR fit) for just 8 from a local charity shop. Add 20 for a KAR to NX adapter and I've got a superb sports lens - Think how much an f2.3 200mm lens would cost for a Nikon or Canon: 4 digits? I spent 30 inc postage (for the mount.)

You didn't say what camera you've got, but Nikon and Canon sell M42 adapters, and most EVIL/CSC cameras have a large range of adapters available. You just need to ensure the lens has manual stop-down of the aperture.

FYI, I have an M42 adapter for My EOS 650 and Rebel (EOS1000). And I use Most of my cameras (that I can actually get film for,) though I do prefer the Samsung. No development costs...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users