Switch From Nikon To Canon

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ruger95

Ruger95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

I have been a NIkon user for about 3 years. But I am thinking about converting to Canon equipment. ANY THOUGHTS????

#2 Johnathan M

Johnathan M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

The silence is deafening... isn't it?

I guess it answers your question.

#3 printsnpaints

printsnpaints

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

My questions is simple. Why? What's bringing about this sudden change of mind?

#4 Watson

Watson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

This is a loaded question but i'll answer it a little. I use both and it depends what you do and what camera you shoot with. Obviously there are awesome photographers who use Canon, some who use Nikon, and some who pick up an iphone and make it look great, but there are a couple things that each does better.

I have not found a Nikon I love for video over the Canon cameras, and I have used them all. The D800 is the only one that doesn't frustrate me completely but I still prefer the Canon cameras. The D600 for example does not allow you to change aperture in live view at all not to mention when recording. I did a review of the D600 and noted this: http://learningcamer...600-full-review
However, wow do my landscape shots look good on the D600 & D800. AMAZING! I can always tell when I used a Nikon because the shadows and blacks are so rich and have no grain or banding, even when pushed 2-3 stops.

Nikon used to be the leader at low light but now the Canon 5D3 and 6D have caught up to all but the Nikon D4 which still is the leader. I pull out my 5D3 any time i'm shooting at ISO 800 or more because the files look a small bit cleaner than the Nikon. You can see the differences here: http://learningcamer...on-5d-mark-iii-

The focus system in the 5D3 is second to none. If you shoot sports (and can't afford the 1Dx) you will love the 5D mark III way more than the D800 or D600. It is outlined in some of the other reviews and is awesome. However, not all Canon cameras are created equal and the focus system on the Canon 6D is not very good and is beat by the D600 by Nikon.

The 5D3 is my go to camera usually because it does so many things well: It is super fast, decently high MP, best focus system, great in low light, great for video, awesome built body... while the Nikon D600 or D800 are my landscape style cameras and sometimes my still portrait cameras because the shadows look so freaking good.

The cropped sensor cameras will probably all be upgraded this year (the D7000, 7D, and 60D are all due for upgrades) so I would wait a bit on those to see what happens.
None are bad but each camera has an advantage. Of course the brand is almost irrelevant because for stills, I'd take a D600 over a 6D but the 5D3 over the D800. Pick the camera right for you based on that info. Hope those reviews help a bit too. Good luck.

#5 BHSnapper

BHSnapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Ruger95 @ Mar 13 2012, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been a NIkon user for about 3 years. But I am thinking about converting to Canon equipment. ANY THOUGHTS????

Why? My daughter has Canon dSLRs and I have Nikon dSLRs. I don't think the extra cost in buying new lenses etc will produce any significant visual or pixel peeping difference.
If you are using compacts Canon does have the edge, but in daily use who would know?

However the Nikon 1 series is becoming a superb buy if you want a CSC...despite the smaller sensor!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users