Photo

Photo Galleries

2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

I am new to PhotographyBLOG and after viewing the photo galleries for a few days now and posting a few photos I have a question.

I believe it would be very beneficial in enabling more meaningful critique of the photos if the image size were to be increased. A maximum of 800 pixels makes such a big difference when trying to judge image quality, particularly focus sharpness.

As there is a Mb limit for each user it would not effect the amount of server space used, although I guess it would use a little more bandwidth. Although with web optimised images the difference is negligable between 600 x 450 and 800 x 600.

I have viewd other similar sites recently and the image sizes are larger than here. It seems to encourage more participation in the critique and discussion of the photos, serious and meaningful critique is a little dificult with the small images in these galleries, and this is after all a photography site.

That said this is my favourite photography site on the web. I would love to see the galleries become more popular. there are many images but few who give much comment. This is a shame and I'm fairly sure the dificulty of judging the small images plays a part in this reluctance to comment.

Can this be changed to allow say 800 x 600 pixel images?

#2 Jogi

Jogi

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

Tend to agree with you Paul although alongside that maybe a restriction on file size to 200k. As one of the poor sods with still a dial up connection some of the current images of 300K+ take an age. Purely selfish reason i know but worth considering i think.
'There is no point pressing the shutter unless you are making some caustic comment on the incongruities of life. That is what photography is all about. It is the only reason for doing it.'......Philip Jones Griffiths

My gallery

#3 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

Good point Jogi, there's no way 600 x 450 image should need to be 300kb.
For 800 x600 200kb is more than adequate if it is optimised.

Something else I was just thinking about. If server space is an issue what about linking to images on an image hosting site?
All the photography sites seem to have the images uploaded to their own servers so maybe there is a good reason for this, but I was just wondering.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)