Need Some Help

2 replies to this topic

#1 clueless

clueless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

need some help to choose a camera i really know absolutley nothing about these things
my wife wants a new camera for the kids sports somethin she can really zoom in on the boy when he is in the outfield or when we r sitting farther away than on the field not sure what to look for in cameras dont know what kind of zoom or anything
wanting a camera with a good zoom something that takes multiple pictures quickly for action shots and lookin to spend under a 1000 dollars can anyone help us out

#2 clueless

clueless

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (clueless @ May 13 2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
need some help to choose a camera i really know absolutley nothing about these things
my wife wants a new camera for the kids sports somethin she can really zoom in on the boy when he is in the outfield or when we r sitting farther away than on the field not sure what to look for in cameras dont know what kind of zoom or anything
wanting a camera with a good zoom something that takes multiple pictures quickly for action shots and lookin to spend under a 1000 dollars can anyone help us out

preferably somthing in a nikon for the wife can get a huge discount on that brand

#3 Cee Dhinjan

Cee Dhinjan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Landscape Photography<br />Portrait Photography

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

By the sounds of it, I think you need to a DSLR. Now, I'm not sure how far your child is intended to be when you want to take these shots... but I'm guessing about 50metres? A bit more perhaps. For a $1000 or a bit more, you may be able to pick up a Nikon D90 (which is the camera I think you should go for) with an 18-200mm zoom lens.

Here's a bit more info on the camera and lens:

1. The D90 is a 12.3 Megapixel DX format camera. 12.3 MP means that each photograph will have 12.3 million pixels. The greater the number of pixels, the more detailed the image. Read this post for a more detailed explanation.

It also has 4.5 frames per second which means it takes 4.5 images every second. This covers your specified need.

What is DX format Nikon? Here's an excellent post that explains what this means.

2. The zoom lens 18-200mm would be a good lens for you to begin with. This is the focal length range of the lens. When the lens is at 18mm, looking through the viewfinder will show a wide angle of view. At 200mm you will be at max zoom where your angle of view will be rather acute... a telephoto view. So at 200mm, you'll be able to zoom in on your little one from a distance. You be able to shoot a good portrait of him/her up to about 75metres at 200mm. If you want to be able to shoot from further away, you'll have to buy a lens with a bigger focal length. Perhaps you'll consider this lens.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help you out.
Cee Dhinjan | Digital Photography Tips | Befriend/Follow Me Facebook | Flickr | Google+ | Twitter

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users