Camera For Beginner Astrophotography

3 replies to this topic

#1 DeliciousFlatFrame

DeliciousFlatFrame

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:51 AM

So, been a night sky lover as I am, I want to start doing some astrophotography. Obviously, I'll need a camera to do that. My only "camera" right now is the camera embedded in a HTC One V, so I guess I'm going to get some "real" camera first, too bad, I'm quite a beginner in photography so I'm going to need some advice from the experienced first.

I've been researching that to create a great astrophotography, I'm going to need a camera with good (very) low light capabilites, large aperture, and long shutter time (am I right?). Oh, and since I don't have telescope yet (still rocking my binocs), I think I'm gonna need a good zooming too. It seems that the peltier-cooled EOS 20d is the best in this regard, but obviously, my skill and budget is still not quite adequate to acquire such a camera. So, with the budget of about US$ 300 (preferably $200), I've narrowed my selection to :

Fujifilm FinePix S2980 (18x, 8sec max shutter time) for about $170
Canon PowerShot SX 150 IS (12x, 15sec) for about $210
Panasonic Lumix SZ1 (10x, 8sec) for about $240
Olympus SZ-10 (18x, 4sec) for about $250
Fujifilm FinePix S4500 (30x, 8sec) for about $255
Fujifilm FinePix SL300 (30x, 8sec) for about $290
Kodak EasyShare Z990 (30x, 16sec) for about $310
Canon PowerShot SX 240 HS (20x, 15sec) for about $320

Still a wide selection it seems, therefore, I have to ask you guys which one is the better one. Or should I go for another one that's not listed? Oh, and I live in SE Asia (Indonesia, to be precise), so the selection might be different with another parts of the worlds.

Many thanks for the help!

#2 pauling

pauling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

In my point of view it is better to use Canon DSLR camera for astrophotography.

#3 Bee Jay

Bee Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Photograph, obviously, buses, trains, and music.

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

It depends on how detailed you want to be; for doing shots of the moon, 15X zoom will be about right; but for stars & planets, go for as much as possible. As for shutter speeds, the moon doesn't generally need that long a setting, 100/400th of a second. Low light capabilties I would have thought would be needed for doing hand held shots of the moon or such like. Unless you're not going to use a tripod, or for some reason you need a fast shutter speed to 'stop' a fast moving object, you won't really need a high ISO setting.

#4 watson229

watson229

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:47 AM

The options you have shared are good enough for any kind of photography but they might cost you a lot and if you want low cost camera you have to compromise with the pixel and zoom quality of the camera. Actually DSRL's cameras are the best one for you purpose and as per my choice cannon power shot series would be best for your kind of photography as there is a great range of pixels quality and range.

Cheshire Wedding Photographer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users