2 replies to this topic

#1 seadog

seadog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

I want to move on from my simple point and shoot Sony DSC W215. A nice wee camera, but a bit simple.

The Fuji X10 ticks all the boxes for me:

Good lens and zoom,
Good image quality and sensor
More serious features, RAW etc
Flash gun shoe
Better external controls.
View finder
Very good reviews

And at about 350, it's bang on for my budget.

I don't want to go for the compact system cameras, or cheap dSLR's, as I'm not fussed about the extra lenses and all that.

Can any one tell me why:

1. I shouldn't buy one?
2. Is there anything else that will do the job instead?

Thanks

Seadog.

#2 jackthephoto

jackthephoto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

The X10 is a great camera that will produce some really excellent images. It is lovely to use and feels particularly well made. The 'white orb' problem does exist although probably not a show stopper for most users. I have had the sensor changed by Fujifilm in the UK which took about 10 days and I cannot fault them for the care they took in doing the update. Initial impression are that the orbs have gone and the sharpness is unaffected in my view but I don't do laboratory comparisons so this is only my opinion based on images.
It may take a while to customise the settings for your own personal preferences as there are a number of options available in the menu to tweak the basic settings, Fuji's film simulation being one of the most obvious. Low light performance is fine as long as you remember that this is not a full-frame sensor, certainly a lt better than some I have used. It is not in quite the same league as the X100 but then again, that is a different camera (and rather excellent it is).
Raw processing is more of an issue as the current Adobe ACR doesn't do a very good job and the included software is ok but a bit 'different'. Hopefully, this will improve but raw files are pretty good so it isn't a show-stopper for me. Eventually this will no doubt be sorted, maybe it has been already but I haven't come across it yet.
If you are in the UK then don't worry about service/support as Fuji are brilliant here. Elsewhere, not really sure.
Bear in mind that it is not quite as pocketable as some as the lens doesn't retract completely but who cares unless you have small pockets. I see the price has dropped recently so value for money is pretty good, given the quality of build and the lens performance.
Hope that helps.

#3 watson229

watson229

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:03 AM

The only disadvantage I know of with the X10 is the ORB problem shooting into bright lights. There is no way around that problem and I am trying to learn to live with it. Strangely, many images with bright lights produce no ORBS. But just as soon as you get comfortable not seeing ORBS, they appear again.

Wedding Video Producers

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users