Need New Camera Advice

4 replies to this topic

#1 megan4847

megan4847

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

I am pretty new to photography, all I have experience with is point-and-shoot cameras. I am enrolling in a basic class in the local community college and they require a SLR camera. I am looking for suggestions for what would be a good affordable starter SLR camera to purchase for this class to just get my feet wet and see if this is something I want to continue to pursue. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

#2 Bee Jay

Bee Jay

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • Interests:Sport, Photograph, obviously, buses, trains, and music.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi Megan.

For around 300 you can get a Canon EOS 1000D; it was Canon's entry level DSLR, which was replaced by the 1100D. The 1100D is a better camera than the 1000D, but it cost around 30/50 more.

You might concided buying a good second hand camera if you're not sure of continuing with the hobby after the class. You'll be able to get a 1000D, with 18-55 lens, for roughly 210/250.

If you're looking to add a decent telephoto lens to your kit without it costing the earth, look around for twin lens deals when buying your camera; or go for an indepenant lens maker, such as Tamron. The prices will be much lower, but the build quality is still ample.

Good luck and enjoy the experience.

#3 giclee printing co

giclee printing co

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Id advise anything by canon really. Get yourself a second hand unit off ebay or something. The cheaper canons are actually quite useful because they have the auto settings that the higher end models dont.
When playing about Id advise getting stuck right in with the iso, shutter speed and exposure setting. Its all good fun and I can assure you'll take some horrendous pics lol.
The main expense with cams by the way are the lenses. The units in my opinion all do much the same.
Good luck.

#4 PhotoJoe

PhotoJoe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (megan4847 @ Sep 9 2012, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am pretty new to photography, all I have experience with is point-and-shoot cameras. I am enrolling in a basic class in the local community college and they require a SLR camera. I am looking for suggestions for what would be a good affordable starter SLR camera to purchase for this class to just get my feet wet and see if this is something I want to continue to pursue. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

Pentax K1000 was always known as the Camera to Learn on. Some schools are starting from the beginning, film is an essential part of Photography. Many people still use "only" film and it can be processed anywhere cheaply. The camera you need just needs to have a Manual Mode, so you can learn exposure correctly. A Nikon FM2 can be bought for less than a hundred dollars, a Pentax with lens can probably be found for even less. If you buy an early Canon, be sure to get it with the lens because before Digital, Canon changed it's mount to the EOS type. KEH Camera brokers are probably the largest supplier of Film equipment. They "Buy and Sell". If you get a camera without it's manual, be sure that you can get a PDF of the manual on line. I think once you use it as you learn, you'll probably want to keep it even for occasional use, so try to get a camera & lens in good condition. The "NORMAL" lens is 50mm. That's what gives you a normal view as seen by the eyes. The main difference you will see is that you will be setting the exposure, and not the "Point & Shoot". The camera will have it's own meter inside, so make sure you can get batteries for it. The "discontinued batteries had mercury in them, but there are equiv. replacements available. Beyond the exposure, you will learn the basics of photography like composition, perspective and lighting to start. Most probably in black and white. B/t/w, try to stay off ebay and craigs list their prices are way to high. Most any Local Camera shop will have a "Box" of film cameras to choose from. I mentioned the Nikon FM2 because after you learn basic exposure, it's a camera that can still operate without any battery and you may find yourself in that situation sooner or later. ... PhotoJoe

#5 Sire

Sire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

There are lots of cameras in the market i would suggest you the Pentax products The pentax k-5 would be best for you as long as you need for professional use.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users