Is Canon S100 The Right Camera For Me?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Hideaki

Hideaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

Hello everyone, this is my very first post here!

I've been reading the blog for a while and from what I read, I think the Canon S100 is the right choice for me.

I don't want a bulky or a super zoom camera since I am just using it to take self pictures with my wife. Most of our photos are indoors and with very low light, that's why I believe the bright f2.0 lens of the S100 are perfect for me!

We've had some compact cameras like Sony and Panasonic but their pictures get very noisy in low light scenarios.

I'd love to hear your opnion.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Willy Wombat

Willy Wombat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Interests:Photography and music

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hi
There is a review of this camera here http://www.photograp...ot_s100_review/.
You also may want to look at camera labs.com, they also do a very good review of this camera, from what I have read the s100 is a very capable camera marred only by it battery life, hope this helps.
>John

> John

#3 Hideaki

Hideaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Willy Wombat @ Oct 22 2012, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
There is a review of this camera here http://www.photograp...ot_s100_review/.
You also may want to look at camera labs.com, they also do a very good review of this camera, from what I have read the s100 is a very capable camera marred only by it battery life, hope this helps.
>John

Thanks for the camera labs review link, I really appreciated it!

I just got a bit worried about the Lens Error and the Auto Focus Zoom Audio Problem.

Also, I just want good indoor pictures... Is S100 a too advanced camera for an amateur like me?

#4 Willy Wombat

Willy Wombat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • Interests:Photography and music

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

hi
I wouldn't worry about any lens error and the in built microphones on most cameras pick up auto focus noise, not sure if this one has an external mic input but that's the way to avoid auto focus noise.
I don't think the camera is too advanced for you, if you get it and read and understand the manual you will get some wonderful images and HD video from this camera, if at a later date you want to upgrade you will have no problem selling it, hope this helps
> John

#5 Hideaki

Hideaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Willy Wombat @ Oct 23 2012, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi
I wouldn't worry about any lens error and the in built microphones on most cameras pick up auto focus noise, not sure if this one has an external mic input but that's the way to avoid auto focus noise.
I don't think the camera is too advanced for you, if you get it and read and understand the manual you will get some wonderful images and HD video from this camera, if at a later date you want to upgrade you will have no problem selling it, hope this helps

Thank you John, I believe I made up my mind!

#6 Joshua A

Joshua A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

I would agree that the S100 is a fantastic little camera that Canon has refined over the years. I've seen some of the images that S100 has made even in low light situations and I am deeply impressed that I am myself consider on getting one as my "pocketable camera on steroids"

My advice though, if you like the S100, why not give some attention to the newer model the S110 as well?

#7 Hideaki

Hideaki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Joshua A @ Oct 23 2012, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would agree that the S100 is a fantastic little camera that Canon has refined over the years. I've seen some of the images that S100 has made even in low light situations and I am deeply impressed that I am myself consider on getting one as my "pocketable camera on steroids"

My advice though, if you like the S100, why not give some attention to the newer model the S110 as well?

Yeah, I've seen S110 features and I loved it! But I live in Brazil and this model is not avaliable yet. Since I will just buy my camera next years' January, I will think about it - if the price is not absurd compared to S100, of course.

#8 Jeamsbal

Jeamsbal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Despite being expensive, the Canon PowerShot S100 is definitely a great point-and-shoot with a lot of the capabilities of a DSLR. Here's to hoping that this review of the S100 Canon was helpful in convincing you to get one for yourself.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)