Sigma Lenses

3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:50 PM

mad.gif I recently bought a couple of Sigma lenses to fit my Canon 10D. One of them is the 17-35mm 2.8 wide angle. Three weeks after I bought it, it malfunctioned and had to be sent in for repairs. In South Africa, ( I'm South African ) that means it has to go to Cape Town, a distance of about 1500km's. The retailer would not give me a replacement, and for three weeks I had to run around doing what I could to organise replacements. Four months later the lens has broken again, and I'm being given the same runaround. I want to know if anyone else has had similar problems with Sigma, and if anyone has a contact for Sigma head office, as I cannot seem to find any way of getting in touch with them directly.

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

Is that lens part of Sigma's professional EX range Mike? I was considering the 12-24mm lens before I bought Canon's 17-40mm instead - only heard good things about the general quality.

Maybe it's time to cut your losses and go for another manufacturer? Is the Tamron 17-35mm Di lens available in your part of the world? That's supposed to be a great lens and very affordable.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Yakographer

Yakographer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:26 AM

As a camera/lens retailer, I know that sometimes you will buy a Sigma lens whose technology preceeds the technology of your camera. And you will get malfunctions (for example, the dreaded "Error 99" on a Canon 10D).

The good news is that Sigma will "re-chip" your lens to be compatible for no charge and for no return shipping charge with no hassle at all whatsoever. True repairs are probably also no-hassle.

The bad news is that the money you saved by buying a Sigma has been offset by your trouble.

I am a born-again strong believer in one of our (small camera store) creeds:
Got a Nikon camera? Get Nikon lenses.
Got a Canon camera? Get Canon lenses.

P.S. SIGMA has been making lenses (and only lenses) for 34 years. They must be good at it.

I own a Sigma lens and I have had it "re-chipped" (for free, as I mentioned -- and by the way--it was a discontinued lens and they STILL rechipped it for free.) It's a fine lens to be sure.

You will find it on Ebay later this week.

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

what are sigma lenses?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users