Best Camera With Aa Batteries

2 replies to this topic

#1 jbeauchamp17

jbeauchamp17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

I currently own a Canon Powershot SX120IS, which I love. However, due to overuse, it is now rather slow and can be unresponsive at times. And as I am going away for an extended time overseas early next year, I am now looking for a new camera. My preference is to have one that uses AA batteries. My reasoning for this is that I take a heap of photos when away - I would average about 300 a day, and sometimes more than double that. With my current camera I liked the fact that I could charge up 4 AA batteries and switch them over when the first 2 died, and that I could carry extra AA batteries in case I needed them. Also, if your last lot of batteries die, you can always buy some more AA batteries in a shop. And it is entirely possible that I may not have access to a powerpoint for a few days and won't be able to recharge the battery, which doesn't matter if I use AA batteries.

I've been doing some initial research and have come across the Canon Powershot SX160IS and Nikon Coolpix L810, though I've read some mixed reviews on both. Does anyone here have an opinion on either one, and/or can recommend any others?

Price isn't a major concern, but if at all possible, I would like to have a camera with a decent zoom (ideally at least 20x optical) and preferably 16 megapixels. I realise that this is a very limited range, but any help will be welcome.

Also, through my research I have come across a camera that I did really like the look of, but it doesn't use AA batteries. It is the Canon Powershot SX500IS. Does anyone know much about this one and its battery life?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Joshua A

Joshua A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

take a look at the Fujifilm HS20. Its an old model but it utilizes AA batteries. 30x zoom and 16 megapixel sensor. it also received a spot on best digital cameras here in photographyblog.com, of course the new model is in display but the cameras HS10, HS20, HS30 are pretty much the same with the major change particularly that of the battery with the latest model, the HS30 utilizing those standard rechargeable batter blocks...or something.

the pentax X5 is also a great option it has a 26x zoom and utilizes AA batteries for power. affordable too!

take a look at fujifilm's other bridge cameras, some offer AA battery use. Im not in anyway a fujifilm fanboy or anything. I just think they have what you are looking for...

i have not read any reviews with regards to the nikon L810 and canon XS160is so i can not say much about those.

Hope im helpful!

links.

http://www.photograp...hs20exr_review/

http://www.photograp...ntax_x5_review/

http://www.fujifilm....ital_cameras/s/

#3 CP140

CP140

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (jbeauchamp17 @ Nov 13 2012, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I currently own a Canon Powershot SX120IS, which I love. However, due to overuse, it is now rather slow and can be unresponsive at times. And as I am going away for an extended time overseas early next year, I am now looking for a new camera. My preference is to have one that uses AA batteries. My reasoning for this is that I take a heap of photos when away - I would average about 300 a day, and sometimes more than double that. With my current camera I liked the fact that I could charge up 4 AA batteries and switch them over when the first 2 died, and that I could carry extra AA batteries in case I needed them. Also, if your last lot of batteries die, you can always buy some more AA batteries in a shop. And it is entirely possible that I may not have access to a powerpoint for a few days and won't be able to recharge the battery, which doesn't matter if I use AA batteries.

I've been doing some initial research and have come across the Canon Powershot SX160IS and Nikon Coolpix L810, though I've read some mixed reviews on both. Does anyone here have an opinion on either one, and/or can recommend any others?

Price isn't a major concern, but if at all possible, I would like to have a camera with a decent zoom (ideally at least 20x optical) and preferably 16 megapixels. I realise that this is a very limited range, but any help will be welcome.

Also, through my research I have come across a camera that I did really like the look of, but it doesn't use AA batteries. It is the Canon Powershot SX500IS. Does anyone know much about this one and its battery life?

Thanks in advance.

I admit to being a Pentax fan, so I will suggest the X-5. I played with one a few weeks ago. It felt solid and quite responsive and is hard to beat for the price. I opted to go with the FZ200 only because of it's ability to mount filters and the constant 2.8 over the entire zoom range.

If you are willing to trade off the AA batteries, I'd suggest the FZ60/62 or the FZ200. Both nice cameras and you could always pick up a spare battery pack.

Regards

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users