Rating Velvia 100

3 replies to this topic

#1 David Marshall

David Marshall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi... Still using Velvia 50 as long as it remains available, and rating it at ISO 40 as recommended by most pros. But the time will come when I have to try Velvia 100, so the question is what should it be rated as to get best results - ISO 100 or perhaps 80?

#2 Chuckiesinluv

Chuckiesinluv

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, reading, studying photography, discussing photography.<br /> Love opera, Classical music, Big Band and &quot;some&quot; 70's Rock.

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (David Marshall @ Mar 12 2006, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi... Still using Velvia 50 as long as it remains available, and rating it at ISO 40 as recommended by most pros. But the time will come when I have to try Velvia 100, so the question is what should it be rated as to get best results - ISO 100 or perhaps 80?

smile.gif

Not sure..never used 100 Velvia. However, I have never set ISO of asa50 at 40. A lot of folks have.
Chuck Freeman USA

#3 Photography by Nelson

Photography by Nelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Location:Cayuga lake in Finger Lakes Region of New York State, USA
  • Interests:Photography and fishing. I love film and shot with Nikons and my field camera which is a Pentax 6x7. Favorite lenses are my Nikons 24-120, 24-50, 50mm 1.4, I also have 90-300mm and a 1.4 matched multiplier. The Pentax 6x7 is a fantastic medium format with 50mm, 150mm and a 105mm. Lots of filters, 2 Bogan tripods. I use a Minolta IVF light meter for the Pentax.

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Chuckiesinluv @ Mar 21 2006, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (David Marshall @ Mar 12 2006, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif Without question my favorite film is fuji velvia 50. I also shot it at 40. I have used the velvia 100 with no changes in ISO settings and seems to work just fine. Like all films it really depends on what your trying to accomplish. I shot with a pentax 6x7 med. format and work a lot with moving water such as streams and waterfalls. I really prefer the velvia 50 for this type of work. When it comes to landscapes I find the 100 just fine. The tuff part is getting away from the films you love to use. Give it a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Have fun. Nelson

Not sure..never used 100 Velvia. However, I have never set ISO of asa50 at 40. A lot of folks have.
Chuck Freeman USA

#4 Andrea NC

Andrea NC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:01 PM

Wow... this thread brings back a lot of memories. I LOVE Velvia. Or at least I used to, when I shot film. I remember back in the day (when the earth was JUST cooling down) I sometimes shot 100 @ 80, but normally I shot it at what it was rated at by Fuji.

I do remember things like scenics, flowers, still lifes, etc. having unbelievably crisp detail and excellent color saturation.

I adored a lot of Fuji's print films, too, like Reala.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users