Canon Ixus 230 Hs Or 127 Hs

No replies to this topic

#1 SuperSi

SuperSi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

First off, what a fantastic site. The reviews on the main site are brilliant and so in-depth, it has assisted my camera hunting no end.

I currently have a Sony Alpha DSLR as my big 'family events and holidays' camera, a Panasonic HD camcorder and a Canon PowerShot A640 as my compact. I've had the PowerShot about 5 years now and it has been a flawless workhorse surviving many trips abroad, and I love the fact I could use normal AA's and not get stranded in need of a plug! However, 2 children down the line the wife wants something slimline she can take everywhere with the children, as she's been relying on the iPhone solely when out and about (and while that's good for Facebook and small prints, a 'proper' camera would be more appropriate).

The sheer volume of compacts out there is overwhelming and I've spent 2 days online researching potential candidates! My requirements are fairly simple - I want the best overall camera I can get for under 150. Size is pretty important (though most compacts should be smaller than my PowerShot), build quality (which attracts me to stay with the Canons), 1080p video recording and also burst photos, as kids never stay still!! i'm not that keen on rear touch screens as they don't appear to perform too well in most of the reviews I have read.

My hunting around started with an initial list of about 6 cameras - I thought I had it down to 1, but then discovered another contender so I am totally confused now and would appreciate some help!!!

I had settled on the Canon IXUS 230 HS: http://www.photograp...specifications/

Amazingly, the best price I found was Curry's at 129 and was all set to go and get one tomorrow.

Then on a final quick look online I came across a similar camera on Jessops website, the Canon 127 HS. Jessops claim it's exclusive to them, which would seem to be the case given that I can only find full specifications on this camera from retailers in Australia, New Zealand, etc.

This retails for 139: http://www.jessops.c...83633/show.html

I'm trying not to get pulled in to the megapixel hype, but the 127 HS has a 16.1mp over the 12.1mp on the 230 HS, but from what I can see the extra megapixels on the 127 HS are a trade off as it only has a 5x zoom rather than the 8x zoom available on the 230 HS.

In my limited knowledge on these things I'm going to presume that most photos will be in close quarters to the children, so I should opt for the extra megapixels and skimp on the zoom, but I guess my reluctance is that the 127 HS is a Jessops exclusive, and therefore widespread reviews on this model are scarce (though I would expect the internals on both models to be very similar.

If anyone can offer any pearls of wisdom on this I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Simon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users