Rip Jessops

2 replies to this topic

#1 Digital SnapHappy

Digital SnapHappy

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Jessops were very good at pleasing the customer - about a year ago I bought a 2x converter for my Nikon - the guy said he didn't have it in stock - but "he would go to the next store himself" and pick up their stock and bring it back for me within a few hours! He duly did this and I bought a very nice TC20III or whatever it's named. Had the internet not been invented, such prisitne levels of service might never have come to light. Then again, perhaps such pristine levels of service were hard to maintain because of the cheaper alternatives that the internet throws up; Jessops as much a casualty of the web as the cash-crisis. And as said, everyone has a camera on their phone nowadays... I will miss the joy of an odd lunchtime or other savouring the hands-on feel of technology - brand new, sparkling and shiny. Sadly that's a thrill gone with Jessops gone!

jacktorcello.zenfolio.com

jack-torcello.artistwebsites.com

Tether your camera with the

free android app dslrdashboard

#2 Jonthelens

Jonthelens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I was deeply saddened by the news of Jessops demise. I am one of a few who relied on them for all my film processing needs, I thought this would mean dipping my toe into the digital market, something I've always been reluctant to do, but due to the ongoing excellence of Jessops for so many years I'd always managed to put it off. I too enjoyed the rapport with the counter staff, and looked forward to my weekly visits. But fear not fellow film users out there, after some investigation and a little arm twisting I've found out that Jessops contracted all such work out of house, mainly a lab in Warrington called BPD Photech, I looked them up and contacted them immediately, they did in fact confirm that a good deal of film processing and print making was done by themselves on behalf of Jessops. Whilst its still extremely sad that a force like Jessops should come to a halt, it's satisfying to know that for film Luddites like myself life goes on.

#3 madmike

madmike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

I am saddened that so many Jessops employees will lose their jobs but as to the passing of the firm they are quite frankly no loss to me. Their pricing structures were not competitive even compared to Comet, Argos & many others. On the rare occasions that I did visit Jessops I did not find the staff helpful in fact I found them arrogant. Obviously this is down to individual branch personnel & would not apply accross the board, suffice it to say on each occasion I left without buying anything. My last two cameras have been bought from reliable suppliers on the Internet. The two suppliers do have high street retail outlets but not in my area & I have received excellent service & prices beyond my expectations. I could have bought even cheaper but was unsure of the suppliers & good service & reliability is worth an extra ten or twenty pounds. I have also part exchanged photographic equipment with a local camera shop & again received friendly service & fair part ex prices & will continue to deal with them.
A photograph, like life, is only a moment in time.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users