#1 Jools

Jools

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Erm... Photography?

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:48 PM

I've currently got on order a Canon EF100mm f2.8 USM Macro lense for my EOS 300D, and it's been on order for weeks now. I've contacted a few retailers, and they all claim to be waiting for stock. I've also, having read the EFS18-55mm review mentioned on PhotographyBlog a couple of weeks ago, been looking for somewhere that stocks the Canon EF50mm f1.8 MkII lens, as it's well priced and gives much sharper images than the kit lens. No-one seems to have that lens in stock either. And while I'm at it, I've had an EOS 300D Semi-hard case on order since well before christmas mad.gif

Has anyone else had any grief getting hold of Canon kit? And does anyone know why there seems to be such a shortage right now?

If anyone knows where I can get hold of any of this stuff, please let me know, as I'm getting frustated waiting sad.gif

Has anyone had any success with any of the many Ebay retailers that send stuff from Hong Kong? It's not an avenue I really want to go down, but wondered if anyone else has experience of it?

Jools.

#2 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Have you tried Ace Cameras in Bath? I ordered a 17-40mm lens from them recently when most other retailers were out of stock. Great service (next day delivery even though I ordered at 5pm!) and a great price too.

I've considered the eBay Hong Kong route before, but I don't want to have to worry about what could go wrong with the order, and what would happen if there was a problem with the product.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#3 Jools

Jools

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Erm... Photography?

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the tip Mark.

I phoned them about the 50mm, and the 100mm macro, and they had a 50mm in stock (at the best price I've seen it at anywhere), so I ordered it biggrin.gif . They confirmed the story with the 100mm macro that everyone else is giving - Canon are shipping very few of them. I've had one on order since 29th March from Warehouse Express, and I spoke to them yesterday, and I'm number 2 on the waiting list, so hopefully it'll be relatively soon. Still wonder why Canon are having difficulty supplying certain items though.

But the prices at Ace Cameras are low, and the staff very helpful, so I'd back-up your recommendation smile.gif

#4 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

You could always try eBay for the 100mm macro - that's where I bought mine last year.
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#5 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:16 PM

just ordered my canon 100 2.8 usm macro $454 US. Tristate camera nyc biggrin.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

#6 Egadsgray

Egadsgray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 04:32 PM

Have you thought about the Tamron 90mm Macro? I remember reading a review in an American mag that preferred it over the Canon for image quality. I've just had a quick look through some back issues and haven't been able to spot it, though. Good luck (if you are still waiting).

#7 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 07:40 PM

The Tamron 90mm has a great reputation. They've recently announced a new Di version:

http://www.photograp...d=P2635_0_1_0_C
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#8 fdinaro

fdinaro

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the Sun in a small town called New York.
  • Interests:Photography,baseball , Ham radio.

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

I sold my Tamron 90. I bought the Canon 100 2.8. The Tamron was good up close but did not hold up as a portrait lens.love the canon it is worth the extra money smile.gif
"Leave the gun. Take the canolies." ...Frank

#9 Andy1307

Andy1307

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:49 PM

Try DigitalRev on Ebay , just bought a Canon 100 - 400L (not tax) 900 GBP

Top service , quick delivery

#10 Guest_Mike Honeyman_*

Guest_Mike Honeyman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

This problem is still persisting mad.gif

I have had a Canon 70-200 f4 L on order from Warehouse Express since mid-December. They originally told me to expect my lens 'in January'. Yesterday (February!) they told me they did not know they would receive the lens in - so I've cancelled the order mad.gif

Need to try and find one somewhere else now unsure.gif

#11 cameraguy

cameraguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Jools @ Apr 30 2004, 07:48 PM)
I've currently got on order a Canon EF100mm f2.8 USM Macro lense for my EOS 300D, and it's been on order for weeks now. I've contacted a few retailers, and they all claim to be waiting for stock. I've also, having read the EFS18-55mm review mentioned on PhotographyBlog a couple of weeks ago, been looking for somewhere that stocks the Canon EF50mm f1.8 MkII lens, as it's well priced and gives much sharper images than the kit lens. No-one seems to have that lens in stock either. And while I'm at it, I've had an EOS 300D Semi-hard case on order since well before christmas  mad.gif

Has anyone else had any grief getting hold of Canon kit? And does anyone know why there seems to be such a shortage right now?

If anyone knows where I can get hold of any of this stuff, please let me know, as I'm getting frustated waiting  sad.gif

Has anyone had any success with any of the many Ebay retailers that send stuff from Hong Kong? It's not an avenue I really want to go down, but wondered if anyone else has experience of it?

Jools.

Don't go down the ebay route. I lost a lot of money when I ordered some canon gear of ebay I am still trying to get my money back on year on !!
Best stay well clear off ebay don't trust anyone from hong kong or singapore sad.gif

#12 roset3

roset3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

My thoughts exactly. I just bought a eos 30d from E-Bay, made sure it was from guy here in the UK. Paid more for it but rather know it is definately (i hope) going to arrive.

I have bought a few things from the Hong Kong guys but only items such as filters and lens hoods.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users