Canon Efs 10-22 Users?

6 replies to this topic

#1 lightsabre

lightsabre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:58 PM

Has anyone here tryed the Canon EFS 10-22 zoom?
I would like to get one, but am reluctant to spend the big bucks until I can get some real life input.
I just got my 20D back from the repair shop. I must say that Canon serviced it very quickly, but it's very disappointing since it isn't even a year old yet.
I've got Konica slrs that are 30+ years old but have never needed any work but a good cleaning.

#2 tumrumble

tumrumble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Interests:Nature photography.

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (lightsabre @ Apr 14 2006, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to get one, but am reluctant to spend the big bucks until I can get some real life input.
I just got my 20D back from the repair shop. I must say that Canon serviced it very quickly, but it's very disappointing since it isn't even a year old yet.
I've got Konica slrs that are 30+ years old but have never needed any work but a good cleaning.

I havent used this lens but i just wanted to point out that EF-S lens will not work on full frame cameras. If you are thinking of upgrading to a full frame camera in the future you might want to stick to EF lenses especially if you are going to pay a lot. Right now the only upgrade using EF-S is the new 30D which isnt a big step up from the 20D in my opinion. 5D and up are full frame and cant use EF-S. Just something to consider. I have heard good things about this lens though

#3 lightsabre

lightsabre

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (tumrumble @ Apr 16 2006, 06:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (lightsabre @ Apr 14 2006, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I havent used this lens but i just wanted to point out that EF-S lens will not work on full frame cameras. If you are thinking of upgrading to a full frame camera in the future you might want to stick to EF lenses especially if you are going to pay a lot. Right now the only upgrade using EF-S is the new 30D which isnt a big step up from the 20D in my opinion. 5D and up are full frame and cant use EF-S. Just something to consider. I have heard good things about this lens though

Thanks, that is something I have taken into consideration. A full frame is still a way off for me though, and I really,really want a wide angle lens. Just have a EF 28-135 IS that isn't so wide on the 2oD.

#4 Tombob

Tombob

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

Never tryed the 10-22mm, but have just taken delivery of a Sigma 10-20mm. Many say that this lens is as sharp as the Canon, and it even rated above the Canon in a popular photo magazine. It is also a lot cheaper.

My first impressions of the lens were bad at first, as the one they sent had a focusing problem sad.gif , took it down to the shop where i ordered it from and they replace it and all seems well so far biggrin.gif .

Havent had a chance to fully test it yet, ill have to wait for the sun to come up again!

And dont quote me on this but im sure the canon wont work on full frame, as wont the Sigma.

#5 Guitarman

Guitarman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:28 AM

Hi,
I have the Canon 10-22 and love it. I use it on my Canon 20D which is therefore around 16-35 equivalent on full frame. Yes, it won't fit a full frame camera, but I don't intend to upgrade in the near future.
The pictures are sharp (better than the ef17-40 f/4 as far as I'm concerned...but maybe I tried a bad one in the shop). It's the best wide-angle for a 1.6 crop camera.
Cheers,
Paul

#6 Cemalina

Cemalina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:47 PM

This is one fabulous lens, if you do either landscape, mountainscape, architectural or photograph lakes this lens will blow you away. I used it in New Zealand on 3 of my hikes in Jan/feb this year. It survived an accidental fall from a loose cistern while the canon 300d it was attached did not. Weight is perfect for hiking & outdoors. Today I was in Garinish island in West Cork & had the 10-22 on my canon 350d & an efs 60mm macro on the 30d. At times I looked like a gangster with the 2 cams. The macro is great.

Enjoy

#7 Jonathan Harrowven

Jonathan Harrowven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Walking, Cycling

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

I'm glad this is being discussed

I too have been wanting one of these, its either this or the Canon 15mm fisheye.

Has anybody got a link to some photos taken with this lens?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users