Dreaded Magenta Cast

6 replies to this topic

#1 waltem

waltem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:38 AM

Folks, has anyone ever had and FIXED the following problem, and if so how...its driving me nuts.

My setup is an Epson1290S printer, Windows XP, photoshop 7.

When in 'Print with Preview' I set source space to Adobe RGB 1998 and print space to either same as source or Printer Color Management.

All prints well.

If I use the Epson 1290 Premium Glossy paper ICC profile I get a Magenta cast. I cant see that I am double proofing. I have disabled color management in the epson printer driver. In the 'Print with Preview' dialogue box I set Source to proof and in the print space I set it ro same as source. Even if I set source to Adobe RGB 1998 and print space to Epson 1290 Premium Glossy paper I get the same Color cast.

A view>>proof colours in PS7 does not show a Magenta cast.

I have done monitor claibration using adobe gamma.

Any ideas anyone???

#2 Guest_pond life_*

Guest_pond life_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:46 PM

Sorry man,

look at my post below.

I've read all the colour management literature, configured it I believe as instructed even though there seem to be various ways of configuration, tried numerous adjustments, in every direction been on the phone to epson for 45 mins and still am no closer to printing the image i desire, i've even tried cranking down the magenta by -25 and boosting yellow (to get a sky blue) but to no avail.

You think it driving you nuts imagine the feeling + a few months.

I was told it was a printer to envy now i wish i just envied it and done something else with the cash.

If you do sort it out tell me please and put your solution up on the blog.

I hope that we or indeed some colour guru can sort this out before we are both sectioned or end up using the piece of plastic as A3 bookend or the more environmentally friendly option of smashing the printer into its constituent parts and recycling it (which also may have the benefit of being highly therapuetic)

#3 waltem

waltem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:00 AM

Well, at least it aint just me!!!

Does your work ok if just printing from Adobe color space and letting the printer control coor? Mine looks ok like that..........

Its just using the Epson profiles I get the color cast.......

#4 earthboundlight

earthboundlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 11:50 PM

You are correct that the magenta caste is a symptom of double profiling. How exactly are you disabling color management in the printer driver? I'm only asking since this is the part you described the least in your post.

There is indeed more than one way to get correct results, and this is part of the problem. If you fill in the printer profile in every possible blank, you can actually triple profile (and then some). The trick of course is to apply the profile once and only once. Given the wonderful soft proofing capability in current versions of Photoshop, the most flexible and functional workflow would go like this:

Go to View >> Proof Setup >> Custom and select the appropriate profile for the paper and ink (and printer of course) that you are using. Select 'Relative Colorimetric' for Rendering Intent. Check the boxes for Black Point Compensattion and Paper White. Do NOT check the Preserve Color Numbers box. You should now see a reasonably close facimile of your final output.

Then go to Print with Preview. Set your Source Space to Proof Setup and your Print Space to Same as Source. This lets you refer to the profile selected previously rather than having to re-enter it here.

In the printer driver, you have to select ICM in order to to then select "No Color Management", at least in current Epson drivers.

You do not want to do printer color management. Also, any time you use the sliders to decrease magenta and increase other colors you are NOT employing color management. This is not the route you want to take.

I have an extended version of this published on my website beginning here.

#5 waltem

waltem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:58 AM

Hi Bob, thanks for responding, I had also been conversinfg with you on Nikonians (Mike Walters).

Just for those folks on here (as I had replied on Nikonians) I tried the Ilford profile and Lyson profile and in the Epson print Preview the cast was not apparent. I will get some Ilford paper and try a test print.....if it is ok then it is the Epson prifiles which are to blame.

#6 earthboundlight

earthboundlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:58 AM

Hi Mike!

Puzzling indeed then. You might simply delete the existing printer setup you have right now inlcuding cleaning out any remaining registry settings, then re-install using the current driver downloaded from Epson. I have heard (though never verified) that a corrupt driver could cause this problem. Supposedly, if you have ever adjusted the color sliders in the basic view of the driver, under certain circumstances these settings persevere and can come back to haunt you even when the driver is later set on No Color Adjustment.

#7 the666bbq

the666bbq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hi,
this is an old post but I may have a "interesting" contribution.
I received my Epson today and the box seemed "rewrapped"; it made me think that this could be a 'almost' new instead of new. Not the end of the world but it doesn't make you happier either. With my slightly aroused attention I noticed some ink marks in the ink section. On closer inspection (with kitched cloth) I noticed magenta ink on most 'needles' and the waste pad below. Maybe the pink/magenta cast you get is from this "contamination".
Do they use magenta to factory test the printers (why do they do that, they make the ink so the correct ink in the correct place would be done with the same effort but without this contamination).

It is hard to believe that an idiot installed his magenta cardridge in the wrong place ... 6 times, and than returned it to the store where they repacked and resold the printer to me. If that is the case, Darwin himself will hunt this man down to give him his Darwin Award in person (and probably kill him shortly after that).

Is this "waste" ink normal on a new printer ?
Could this be an explanation for the magenta cast ?
Is there a way to quickly eliminate all the contamination ("flush the pipes") ?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users