Flash Banner Ads

9 replies to this topic

#1 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 11:52 PM

These new flash banner ads at top of every friggin single upload page have really slowed things down. I don't have dial up, and this is getting so annoying, and never encountered the delays like I do now, until these rolling flash ones were placed here. Is this a permanent thing??? It's a real turn-off even in just visiting the site to see new photos posted.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. If this is some monetary subsrciption thing which then blanks them out, please let me know, but I got to tell ya, you must be turning a slew of visitors off.

I've even seen regular posters downgrade a rating to a photographer because they had to wait so long for the photo to upload???

Oly_M
"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#2 Bridget

Bridget

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing the piano,my job with the elderly,and of course photography.

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Oly_M @ Jun 1 2006, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These new flash banner ads at top of every friggin single upload page have really slowed things down. I don't have dial up, and this is getting so annoying, and never encountered the delays like I do now, until these rolling flash ones were placed here. Is this a permanent thing??? It's a real turn-off even in just visiting the site to see new photos posted.

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. If this is some monetary subsrciption thing which then blanks them out, please let me know, but I got to tell ya, you must be turning a slew of visitors off.

I've even seen regular posters downgrade a rating to a photographer because they had to wait so long for the photo to upload???

Oly_M

Yep i can't stand them either.Can't they be got rid of.And quickly.

#3 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:55 PM

Or I wonder if they just loaded once in the top as a static frame rather than RELOADING at every page (i.e. Every Click)

It's incredibly annoying, and I can't peruse the site easily enough to get to all the photos I'd like to see. The navigation experience is totally compromised.
"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#4 gazmaster

gazmaster

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

Hello Oly and Bridget, not too sure whether the URL for adblockers will be of use to you, but have a look, there are a couple there that will get rid of annoying ads, Stopzilla looks good.
Hope this helps.

http://www.snapfiles...swpopblock.html

Gary

QUOTE (Oly_M @ Jun 1 2006, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or I wonder if they just loaded once in the top as a static frame rather than RELOADING at every page (i.e. Every Click)

It's incredibly annoying, and I can't peruse the site easily enough to get to all the photos I'd like to see. The navigation experience is totally compromised.

Regards

G@zz@

#5 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:09 AM

thank you Gaz, you're a sweetie as always! much appreciated.. will check it out on weekend
rolleyes.gif

#6 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for your valuable feedback everyone.

I just wanted to clarify a few things...

The large Flash banner ad is only 35Kb in size.
There is no file size limit on photos in the Gallery - just a dimension limit of 800 pixels high/wide. This means that individual photos can often be in excess of 200Kb, maybe even more, depending on the level of compression that the user has saved the photo at.
This means that the photo is usually the cause of any slow-down in the page loading time, not the flash banner.

PhotographyBLOG relies on advertising for its existence. It's as simple as that. We don't charge members a fee to join, and you only have to pay a nominal fee to get more storage space than the 5Mbs that comes with the free account. Feel free to use any ad-blocking software that you wish - just bear in mind that if everyone used it, our advertisers would go elsewhere and this site would cease to exist at all...
Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#7 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:43 AM

... but I swear it's taking up time in that they are looped and keep rolling over and over again, during, and "as" you try to browse.. I understand the point you make about the ads. I don't mind static ads? wink.gif

Anyways, thanks for writing Mark, and the info on the photo sizes...

Much appreciated.

#8 markgoldstein

markgoldstein

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,108 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:46 AM

Hi Oly,

Ah, I understand what you're saying now smile.gif

No, once the 35Kb has loaded, that's it, there is no further effect on the loading time of the page. The looping effect is just animation - it doesn't "reload" on every loop. A static ad of the same size would be indentical in terms of page load.

QUOTE (Oly_M @ Jun 4 2006, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... but I swear it's taking up time in that they are looped and keep rolling over and over again, during, and "as" you try to browse.. I understand the point you make about the ads. I don't mind static ads? wink.gif

Much appreciated.

Mark Goldstein
Editor, PhotographyBLOG

#9 Bridget

Bridget

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,023 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy playing the piano,my job with the elderly,and of course photography.

Posted 05 June 2006 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (markgoldstein @ Jun 4 2006, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Oly,

Ah, I understand what you're saying now smile.gif

No, once the 35Kb has loaded, that's it, there is no further effect on the loading time of the page. The looping effect is just animation - it doesn't "reload" on every loop. A static ad of the same size would be indentical in terms of page load.

QUOTE (Oly_M @ Jun 4 2006, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Much appreciated.

It's the constant movement that really bugs me.But for the wefare of this lovely site i will try hard to ignore it.Thankyou Mark for answering our rants smile.gif

#10 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

It doesn't really bother me to be honest. I just wish they would put someone pretty, like Claudia Schiffer or Christy Turlington, on it instead of Mandonna! ph34r.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users