3 replies to this topic

#1 Joel Hughes

Joel Hughes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:09 AM

Hi all,
Can I please have some recommendations for a digital camera which will be used mainly for taking photos of interior rooms.

I'd obviously like it to be as wide angle as possible 28mm or less if possible.

I wasn't really thinking DSLR as the person who'll use this isn't really a camera buff however I'm thinking a flash shoe might be good if the on board flash isn't good enough to illuminate a room well.

ANy thoughts/help/suggestions gratefully received

regards

Joel Hughes

#2 Chris Green

Chris Green

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Photography, quelle surprise, and most things involving the heavy use of 'boy's toys'

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

Don't forget that 28 mm isn't particularly wide angle when applied to most digital cameras - this is because their sensors are usually smaller than a 35 mm negative.

#3 Paul_77

Paul_77

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, Computers, Photography, Motorcycles.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Chris Green @ Aug 12 2006, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget that 28 mm isn't particularly wide angle when applied to most digital cameras - this is because their sensors are usually smaller than a 35 mm negative.

That's true, but the figures quoted are usually based on 35mm format equivalent so a compact digital quoted at 38 to 105 mm lens will actually give the same result as a 35mm with that lens length.

There are only a couple of compact digital Companies that make a camera with 28mm wide angle that I am aware of. The Panasonic Lumix Lumix LX1 and Lumix FX01 and the Ricoh Caplio Caplio R3 and Caplio R4

Check out the reviews from the links above.

Another option would be something like the Fujifilm Finepix S9500 Zoom which is virtually a DSLR without the removable lens. Set to auto it should be a pretty simple camera to use, even for someone without much experience. The onboard flash will probably be strong enough for your requirements unless the room was pretty large. But then, as you say you could use an external flash.

#4 hockeyshooter

hockeyshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Freelance sports photographer also covering travel, landscapes and wildlife.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

The problem with built-in flashes is that you have very little control over them - they're pretty much on or off. You also need to make sure you can decide when they fire - there might be situations where it wouldn't be appropriate.

There are (or at least were) some digital cameras that offer a hot shoe so you can attach a bigger, more powerful and more controllable gun. I'm thinking along the lines of the Canon Powershot G5, G6, etc. Not sure how wide their zoom lenses go, though.

http://www.dpreview....eviews/canong6/

Chris.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users