Shutter Lag

5 replies to this topic

#1 jeff_free

jeff_free

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 06:37 PM

I'm looking for a good mid-range (3MP,3Xoptical) camera. I thought Nikon Coolpix 3200 was the one . until I started hearing about shutter lag. I've read and heard from someone who has an older model that this can be well over a full second. This seems like a showstopper. Whats a typical value ? What's a good camera that has a low lag?

#2 peteseyeview

peteseyeview

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:13 AM

Hi Jeff

Shutter lag is a big problem especilly in the digital compact market, the more modern the design of the camera usually the better it performs. I have this problem with all of the digital compacts I use at home and work. The best suggestion I can give you is to check out all of the models you're interested in at your local camera store before buying. Alternatively you can put your money to a digital SLR, expensive but shutter lag is negligible, Canon 300D and the Nikon D70 are the ones to look at for cost v performance.

If you must get a compact try them out and learn how to manage the shutter lag by pre focusing or switching to manual focus, and set the camera so you get the greatest depth of field. The thing that takes the time is the camera setting the focus and calculating the shutter and aperture settings if you take over all of these then there is no lag.

Hope this helps.

Pete.

#3 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:09 PM

It is now possible to find compact digital camera with a very good shutter lag. To find them goto to a review site where they measure and give an opinion on the timing of operation e.g.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

For the Nikon CP 3200 there is the page:
http://www.imaging-r...00/CP32DATA.HTM

The time you should take care of is the Shutter lag with full autofocus and the Shutter lag with a prefocus. Average time with full autofocus is one second and third of a second with prefocus.

I've found a 5Mpix with quite good value:
http://www.steves-di...s/p100_pg5.html

Do not forget to check the sample images as well !

#4 jeff_free

jeff_free

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:34 PM

THANKS - This imaging-resource site is amazing!!!! biggrin.gif

#5 mikehulsebus

mikehulsebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 03:55 AM

Yeah, I've shot a few with a coolpix--while the thing takes nice pictures, you've gotta really depress the shutter button long before the action happens

#6 Guest_richard_*

Guest_richard_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 04:35 PM

It isn't just shutter lag you might watch out for. Compact Digitals with small lens/filter diameters (say under 25mm) will also be limited to full depth of field.

This is fine for landscape shots, but if you are used to short depth of field for portraits etc, you might be dispointed.

Again, this isn't an issue with digital SLRs like the D70 etc.

R.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users