Photo

How Long Do The Phosphors In A Modern Crt Monitor Last?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mark Levison

Mark Levison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:36 AM

Iím consider buying a used Sony 21Ē CRT GDM 5410 (oemíd as Sun Monitor), from a co-worker. But I wonder how long it will last. To my inaccurate eye it appears slightly washed out. However my calibration tool (Color spyder) says the color is spot on. My concern comes as I have the contrast set to max, the brightness set to min; R, G and B bias set to 0; and the gains to 77, 82 and 80 respectively. So there doesnít seem to be much room for adjustment.

Am I considering a monitor thatís on its last legs (for photography) or am I too paranoid for words?

#2 tmat

tmat

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Computers, Electronics,Country Walks and real ale.

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:24 AM

Over the years I have repaired hundreds of monitors and I have to say that the question you pose is difficult to answer. You need to know the age of the monitor and how much use itís had. Generally speaking the CRT in a monitor leads a harder life than one in a domestic television. Itís normal on a monitor for the contrast to be run at anything between 90 & 100% of maximum. I find it a little strange that the brightness on the monitor in question is on the minimum setting this may well indicate that one or more internal adjustments need setting up and may explain why the display seems to be washed out. For normal use the RGB settings are best left at 9300k unless you intend to fully calibrate the monitor and have the equipment to do so. A very useful programme for evaluating monitors is the Nokia test pattern generator 2.0 this is a free piece of software and can be easily found if you do a search for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users