Viewfinder Blackout/freezeup.

3 replies to this topic

#1 RickfromBama

RickfromBama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 05:16 AM

I photograph Drag Racing. I need a camera with at least a 4x zoom that allows me to follow the action without viewfinder freeze or blackout. Megapixels don't matter to me,just quality. I don't buy the megapixel marketing hype. Suggestions anyone?

#2 etfon911

etfon911

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:Love to write, shoot photos and nature.

Posted 29 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

I can't tell you which one is best for fast action, but I can tell you that my new Nikon 8700 is definitely not the one to choose. It has tons of megapixels, but action shots are definitely not it's strong point....plus there is an enormous amount of shutter lag. A lot of photos I see here are taken with the Canon. Try finding action shots on this website that you like and make a note of which cameras were used. Every photo lists the camera model.

#3 Herve

Herve

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:59 PM

If you need fast response time (no shutter lag), high sensitivity (high ISO without too much noise), good telephoto lens, the best answer is a CMOS digital camera and you will have to buy a Digital Single Lens Reflex (DSLR).

If you don't want to spent too much money and you have enough available light when shooting, you can have a look at this one:

Minolta's DiMAGE Z2 is excellent for those needing speedy performance, good image quality, and a "Big" zoom in a compact and lightweight digital camera. This camera combines a long focal length 10x zoom lens and a high resolution 4.0 megapixel imager with a robust focusing system and creates great images. The 4.0 million pixel images yield beautiful, high-quality 8 x 10" photo prints. In addition, the DiMAGE Z2 records high-quality 30fps 640x480 movies, as well as screen-filling 800x600 size movies. With a street price of around $449, the Minolta Dimage Z2 is a definite winner.

There are other Big Zoom available but this one is one of the speediest.

The full review at http://www.steves-di...reviews/z2.html

You can have a look at the Kodak DX6490 but the autofocus is slow.

#4 RickfromBama

RickfromBama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:28 PM

It does seem that a digital SLR with an optical viewfinder is going to be my best choice. I've been looking at the Minolta Z2 but I'm not impressed with the build quality. I've looked at the Sony 828 in a local electronics store. The build quality seems to be there and the viewfinder doesn't seem to blackout as long as some do but,alas,the price isn't far off from SLR territory though prices seem to be comming down on the 828 now. There is one camera,an older model Fuji 620 Zoom,that I have seen used at my favorite online store for a seemingly good price. The reviews I have seen have been better than I expected but most reviews on this camera are a couple of years old. I'm no big Fuji fan (execpt their NPH film which is terrific) but if anyone out there sees this and has used one for fast action,I would appreciate a response. Thanks "etfon911" and "Herve" for your help.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users