Organizing Your Photos

10 replies to this topic

#1 Oly_M

Oly_M

• Advanced Members 100
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

what do you use to help keep your digital photos organized on your computer? Do you have software that helps or do you just excel at file folder structures ? unsure.gif
"The poetry of photography will always be more important than the mechanics of the camera..." - J-H. Lartigue

#2 Tophee

Tophee

• Advanced Members 50
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Oly_M @ Jul 14 2006, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what do you use to help keep your digital photos organized on your computer? Do you have software that helps or do you just excel at file folder structures ? unsure.gif

I use iPhoto, which is great. You can see your picture organised by rolls, create albums, or give keywords to picture to find them easilly. It also let you do the basic change on the picture, like changing contrast, color temp, etc, without loosing your original ever. But you will need a Mac.

#3 Digigay

Digigay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi,
I use a program from Google.
It seems that not many people know about it.
In the past I have used proprietary programs from the manufacturerers but then each time I changed my camera I had to figure out how to transfer my collections.

This new software from Google is great
here it is
http://www.picassa.google.com
Now it does not matter which camera I take my pictures in - It automatically puts them into date folders and I caption them.

I like it so much because it is versatile - also logs all forms of pictures as you save them to your pc.
Import Export print, share blog and make web pages.
Its brilliant

The editing features list is also great - I especially like the "I'me feeling lucky"

Thanks
George Hasky

#4 hopstetter

hopstetter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:anything that groups well with the creative industry!

Posted 01 August 2006 - 03:37 PM

i also use Picassa. It is a nice program and it is free!! Maria
[font=Arial][size=4]Diving into this industry head first!

#5 cjthomasuk

cjthomasuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Just brought a Nikon D50 and absolutley love it. Also like Snowboading, Tennis and most sports

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi

I had a similar problem, a friend told me about this software called BLUBOX. I managed to store 4Gb of images in a 600Mb file. It really helps store all my photos, not only that it compresses them to help save space and allows me to extract them back to their original size. It's saved me so much time and money on storage.

best of all its free www.blubox.com

CJ smile.gif

#6 Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Yeah CJ ...thanks for the tip off...

I tried the BLUBOX software. It's awesome. nice one dude

#7 run

run

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:44 AM

I use DVD Photo Slideshow. make my photos into slideshow with my favorite music,really cool!!

#8 Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Digigay @ Aug 1 2006, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
I use a program from Google.
It seems that not many people know about it.
In the past I have used proprietary programs from the manufacturerers but then each time I changed my camera I had to figure out how to transfer my collections.

This new software from Google is great
here it is
http://www.picassa.google.com
Now it does not matter which camera I take my pictures in - It automatically puts them into date folders and I caption them.

I like it so much because it is versatile - also logs all forms of pictures as you save them to your pc.
Import Export print, share blog and make web pages.
Its brilliant

The editing features list is also great - I especially like the "I'me feeling lucky"

Thanks
George Hasky

Watch out for that picassa program..I understand that it indexes your photos so thatone day in a GOOGLE future people willbe able to Google serarch your images..what about privacy issues??

#9 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:39 AM

Hasanybody else heard of any issues with Picassa?
I certainly have not and have had no problems using the software.
I also find it hard to believe that any responsible company like Google would allow others to access your photos without your express permission. This sounds like either urban myth or an attempt by others to discredit Google.
I am dubious about "Daniel Wilson" also. His name appears only to extoll the virtues of BluBox software and rubbishing Winzip.

Joined Aug 29 2006

!st post Aug 29 2006, 11:37 PM

2nd post Aug 29 2006, 11:42 PM
I want to send out several GBs of photos to about 20 recipients. It's a pain in the backside to burn the images onto a CD..I'd rather email them. Winzip sucks at compressing image files..Any ideas?

3rd post Sep 3 2006, 11:34 PM
WINZIP sucks try this BLUBOX stuff..PS you can see what they're doing at another website called www.bluboxes.com.

Perhaps the Blogs clock is up the spout or Daniel has a short memory!!

Anyway, what does Mark Goldstein think of these accusations against Picassa.
I notice it has been advertised here so surely you have some information on this software.
regards
Don

#10 Daniel Wilson

Daniel Wilson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (donmac @ Sep 16 2006, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hasanybody else heard of any issues with Picassa?
I certainly have not and have had no problems using the software.
I also find it hard to believe that any responsible company like Google would allow others to access your photos without your express permission. This sounds like either urban myth or an attempt by others to discredit Google.
I am dubious about "Daniel Wilson" also. His name appears only to extoll the virtues of BluBox software and rubbishing Winzip.

Joined Aug 29 2006

!st post Aug 29 2006, 11:37 PM

2nd post Aug 29 2006, 11:42 PM
I want to send out several GBs of photos to about 20 recipients. It's a pain in the backside to burn the images onto a CD..I'd rather email them. Winzip sucks at compressing image files..Any ideas?

3rd post Sep 3 2006, 11:34 PM
WINZIP sucks try this BLUBOX stuff..PS you can see what they're doing at another website called www.bluboxes.com.

Perhaps the Blogs clock is up the spout or Daniel has a short memory!!

Anyway, what does Mark Goldstein think of these accusations against Picassa.
I notice it has been advertised here so surely you have some information on this software.
regards
Don

Thanks Buddy...I have no interest in rubbishing Google...I love it as a search engine. I just think thta the indexing element of both Picassa and gmail can be a bit intrusive. I need to email photos more than most so I'm always looking for ways to help me to do this. Having just spent a week on a shoot in the Middle East and needing to count on a dial-up connection..I have just had the frustrations onf needing to get photos back to my office by email. I resent the implication ..I found a useful bit of software..so what???

#11 Reclusive

Reclusive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Well how about Photography, like I suppose it had to be.<br />Cooking, well as I travel around the world I suppose I have to eat.<br />Travel, although I am not keen on the flying bit. No I am not scared of flying, it is all the waiting and security thing that screws it up.

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Well I just place images in a folder on my aux, drive.

However, I created a database using Access. I use this to log all the information for each shot. It also has a field to show the folder I have stuffed the images in.

For those film images , each reel is numbered.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users