Website Critique

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alan van horn_*

Guest_alan van horn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:08 AM

hello...just would like some critique of my website...i'm working on a pricing page as alot of people like to know a general amount that a photographer charges. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks ....Alan

My Webpage

#2 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (alan van horn @ Jun 1 2004, 03:08 AM)
hello...just would like some critique of my website...i'm working on a pricing page as alot of people like to know a general amount that a photographer charges. any comments or suggestions would be appreciated...Thanks ....Alan

My Webpage

I open you homepage and then stop. My monitor resolution at work for 1024x768 which is too small for your website. That means I have scroll to the right to see your large photo, which I hate to do. At home your homepage would fit my monitor.

So are you looking for people that only have large monitors to visit your website? Then I not the type of person you want to visit.

I had to redesign my website for 800x600 because my mother's monitor is set at that size and so are many of her friends. Also I hate black for websites, it is a typical color I see for many photography website and it not a friendly looking color. But how come the best websites are not in black?

Bill

#3 mikehulsebus

mikehulsebus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:39 AM

Your images seem overly compressed. If you're trying to keep the page loading fast, a small and sharp 640x480 photo will better reflect on your photography than a large, blocky image. I'd also ditch the shutter sound effects and links to the Diamondbacks, your hometown weather, your church, etc. As far as typos go, on your order page one option is "4xD" and i think photographers usually choose a sitting fee, not a "setting" fee. I agree with Bill when he suggests you kick to down to 800x600. While the size looks fine for me, theres a whole lot of people that view the internet at 800x600. Color would be cool if you're up to messing around with it. Check out what Noah Grey has done with his photoblog at www.greyexpectations.com. Note how as the colors in the images change, the webpage background changes as well. That's about it for my critique.
(Incedentally, yes, my site does have a black background, but thats because I'm on a temporary server for the summer and have a very much limited grasp of HTML)
best of luck with the site

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users