Sony Alpha 100

14 replies to this topic

#1 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:57 PM

I've been reading a lot about the new DSLR from Sony, and it would seem that the whole world loves it!
All of the reviews are really good. The anti shake system and anti dust systems on the sensor seem to be highly regarded, and it's certainly the only camera in the price range with 10.2 megapixels.
Has anyone used one? I'd like to know if the lenses are any good as well. This is a serious contender to be my first digital SLR. I personally think that it looks better than the competition too.

#2 snedger

snedger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 09:31 AM

Am so tempted to get one to utilise my Minolta lenses.

Even though reviews are so positive, I've still got a feeling that I want to see the next Alpha that Sony release.
I think I would rather pay a bit more, for a bit more serious and better built camera.
The reviews go on about how much the 100 is like the Dynax 5D - I played with a 5D and was so disappointed that I didn't like it.
The Alpha 100 was going to be my summer holiday camera this year. I have really gone too far with a compromise this time and bought a Fuji F11 when it was at very low price in Jessops (UK). It does fit in my pocket though. This year there is 0% chance of having sore shoulders from carrying kit all day.

#3 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

I can't wait to see their next offering either, but I have a feeling that it will be the next model down in the range. If it is the next model up, I'm sure that it'll be out of my price range. sad.gif From the reviews I have read so far, and the head to head comparison with the Nikon D70s and Canon DR XT, I would definitely choose this one. I'm interested to see which lenses they bring out. Apparently, this model has the only autofocus supertelephoto reflex lens in the world. (with no blur, thanks to the anti shake system!)
If anyone here has an alpha 100, or a reason NOT to buy one, please let me know, as I'm almost certain that this will be the one! wink.gif

Snedger, it's a shame you had to compromise, but it is a good idea not to get weighed down with kit on your travels! smile.gif

#4 snedger

snedger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:54 PM

Hello
I've been in 2 shops in the last few days looking at the Alpha and just managed not to ask for a demo!
I personally think that it looks much more professional and robust than the Dynax 5.

Turns out that the F11 was not all that much of a compromise in the end.
I leant it to a friend this week who went to Carcossonne and she took some wonderful pictures (impossible not too with the subject matter really) of all the amazing medieval structures.
I showed her how to zoom in in Photoshop and to her delight, perfectly detailed gargoyles were popping up all over the place. She loves gargoyles!
I'm slightly envious now, 'cos it turns out that she is a total natural for using PS and I still have to think and scratch my head to force myself to turn out anything creative in PS.

Sorry about the digression!

There is a high chance that in the week remaining before my holiday, that I might still buy the Alpha. I'm off to Sorrento and wlll be going to Pompeii - there will be so many scenes worth capturing with an SLR.
Cheers
snedger

#5 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:33 PM

Well... if she likes gargoyles, she should love me! smile.gif

I went into Jessops today, and they let me have a play with one. (An Alpha, not a gargoyle!) It looks and feels great. Unfortunately, it didn't have a card in, but I can tell that it can take good pics! The chap in the shop said that the image quality is superior to the 350d. I have seen some amazing photos with the 350d, so that is all I had to hear. Now to start saving.

#6 donmac

donmac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 01:42 AM

Hi Stewart
Interesting that the chap in the shop said that. The Canon uses a CMOS sensor as opposed to the CCD used in the Sony, which, is probably a similar sensor to that used in the Nikon. It is widely accepted that the CMOS is superior to the CCD and produces better quality pictures. The difference in quality is probably so slight as to make very little difference to anybody other than very high end users. But this once again highlights the false information being given out by salesmen as they endeavour to make a sale at any cost. ( see snedgers post on xd cards).
Here is a link to a very thourough review on the Sony, which gives comparisons between a number of other cameras.

http://www.dpreview....s/sonydslra100/

Every camera has its pros and cons. I think the image stabiliser is a big plus for the Sony, and maybe that is what the salesman was trying to say gave improved performance.
The dpreview site has lots of very good reviews.
Hope it helps rather than give you more decision probs. wink.gif
regard
Don

#7 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Thanks Don! I still like the look of it a lot, but I'm starting to be drawn to the 30d. The thing for me though is that I can see myself ending up spending much more on the Canon lenses, whereas Sony will carry on improving its anti shake system, so the lenses will ultimately be cheaper.

#8 pacificphoto

pacificphoto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 01:36 PM

Hi, Stewart! I've never replied to this section of the blog, but your camera woes have compelled me to add to them, sorry.

Two other cameras you should read about while you're on the review sight: Canon 400d (aka Rebel XTi), and Nikon D80 (leading the pack for me to buy with tax return money). Both are 10 megapixel, and the canon's got that dust shaking sensor technology now.

Chris

#9 Dan Williams

Dan Williams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (stewart bywater @ Jul 27 2006, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been reading a lot about the new DSLR from Sony, and it would seem that the whole world loves it!
All of the reviews are really good. The anti shake system and anti dust systems on the sensor seem to be highly regarded, and it's certainly the only camera in the price range with 10.2 megapixels.
Has anyone used one? I'd like to know if the lenses are any good as well. This is a serious contender to be my first digital SLR. I personally think that it looks better than the competition too.

As a professional photographer, I take a very close look at any new camera that comes along. I just had a chance to spend the day shooting with the new Sony Alpha-100, and here are my feelings about its' performance. First, I am very disappointed with the body construction. More important, however, are the very soft images produced by the camera. I had hoped to see great improvement over the previous Minolta SLR's, but the images produced by the A-100 did not even match my Minolta 7D. At anything above 400 ISO, the noise was just awful. Extremely, disappointing! I think we all had hoped for a home run from Sony, but we only got a base hit. Too Bad.

#10 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for your comments. I agree that when I tried the Sony Alpha (for about two minutes) that the one picture I took was very soft. Is it possible though that this is just because of the lens? Would a better lens give results to compete with the Canon and Nikon cameras in this price range?

#11 onelegout

onelegout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Dan Williams @ Sep 5 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a professional photographer, I take a very close look at any new camera that comes along. I just had a chance to spend the day shooting with the new Sony Alpha-100, and here are my feelings about its' performance. First, I am very disappointed with the body construction. More important, however, are the very soft images produced by the camera. I had hoped to see great improvement over the previous Minolta SLR's, but the images produced by the A-100 did not even match my Minolta 7D. At anything above 400 ISO, the noise was just awful. Extremely, disappointing! I think we all had hoped for a home run from Sony, but we only got a base hit. Too Bad.

Hi, First post here!
Im certainly no professional photographer; infact Im just a student and my first camera was the Konica Minolta 5D. Personaly I love the feel of the camera and its weight - both of which have remained the same in the A-100. I must agree with you though on the issue regarding soft images - This has always been a problem for me with the 5D and although the problem has greatly improved with the A-100 (Probably due to the massive step in resolution - from the 5D's 6.1 megapixels to the A-100's 10.5!)
The one thing that I realy love about my 5D is it's controls. No annoying spinning wheels or switches - just simple 'click it and it does something' buttons. Infact, I found hardly any problems with the 5D and the problems that I DID find were realy just annoyances (dust on sensor, etc.)

It seems to me that every single problem that I have come across with my 5D has been fixed and improved in the A-100. They've also kept all of the things which I loved about the 5d! And that's why Im selling the 5D to a friend and buying the A-100 next week!
Should go nicely with my new sigma 10-20mm!

Dan, I would love to hear your opinion on the eye-start AF! It seems like a great idea to me but Im finding it hard to beleive that it will actualy work as it's supposed to.

Thanks
H

P.S. As I already stated, Im not a professional photographer - and I don't have tons of experience with other DSLRs so don't go trusting my judgement over anybody elses! biggrin.gif

#12 onelegout

onelegout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

Hi again! Today I sold my 5D and bought an Alpha-100 biggrin.gif
If anyone has any questions about how the camera handles in real-life I'd be happy to help out!
H

#13 stewart bywater

stewart bywater

• Advanced Members 200
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 11:40 PM

Well done for buying one. Are the images really as soft as they looked in the tests? Did you buy the kit lens, keep the lenses you already had or none of the above? Please let us know how you find the camera!!! smile.gif

#14 onelegout

onelegout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (stewart bywater @ Oct 5 2006, 12:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done for buying one. Are the images really as soft as they looked in the tests? Did you buy the kit lens, keep the lenses you already had or none of the above? Please let us know how you find the camera!!! smile.gif

The photos are soft on regular settings but if you change the sharpness on the DEC (fn) settings it's fine!
I did not buy any of the lenses. i am currently using a Sigma 10-20mm with it. It's a fantastic camera/lense combination! So far the only thing that's been a small annoyance is the Auto WB. It's a little too blue for my liking, and none of the whitebalances compensate for the flash!
Other than that, it's great.
Oh, and the flash is too low for my sigma 10-20mm. The lense gets in the way so the bottom of the frame isn't lit by the flash.

I'd still reccomend one though!
H

#15 RTailor

RTailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:40 PM

I have had the Sony Alpha for about a week now, i am no pro just still getting to grips with my first DLSR, i had a question on Auto Bracketing, I know the camera comes with an Auto Bracketing feature setup for +-0.3 and 0.7 steps but i want to change this to +-2 but there is nothing in the manual that tells you how to do this, can anyone help here?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users